Saturday, October 29, 2005

Appeal for help from regular newspaper readers

As some of you may have seen, some articles recently appeared about the bird flu and people are now questioning whether cats are responsible. There has been NO indication of this so far, but that doesn't stop people from speculating. The problem is that this may lead to a lot of damage - I'm sure everyone here remembers SARS. At the end of the day, how many people were infected by cats? Zero. However, the panic that started, as everyone knows led to a very tragic consequence of cats being killed and the Stray Cat Rehabilitation Scheme being shut down.

The best thing that we can do it to keep on top of the news and try and rebut any misleading information. To do that though, I would really appreciate help monitoring the newspapers. I do read the Straits Times and surf the Net, but obviously I can't read everything. I missed the Today article for example, till I saw it on Vegancat's blog. If some of you could monitor newspapers which you regularly read and let me know of any articles of interest, it would be of great help. They do not need to be limited to articles on bird flu. This would include newspapers in languages other than English.

I have never read so many medical articles then during the SARS outbreak (I have an incredibly thick file on SARS articles from newspapers and journals) and if someone has access to PubMed and can scan through the medical articles and help with that, that would great as well.

Please let me know if you can help or write to me if you have any questions.

2 Comments:

Blogger lechatrouge said...

i m up for it to help this cause!

we urgently need to spread the fire of proper awareness and info.

29/10/05 5:27 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Thanks! Please drop me an email and let me know which newspapers/websites/etc you can help monitor!

29/10/05 5:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home