Monday, October 10, 2005

Doesn't everyone live in Hougang/AMK/Bukit Batok?

One thing I find interesting when I'm visiting the US is that some people are really surprised when you tell them you're not from the US. When you say that you don't live 'here', they assume you mean the state you're in, and not the country. One girl was just bursting with questions because I think she rarely had met someone not from the US.

I was reminded of this when I speak to some people who write in. When I ask them where they're emailing from, or calling from, they'll say, Block XXX. One email said, injured cat at Block XXX - and no other details. Someone called today and asked me to send her some information. She gave me her block and her street number - but not the area. Not everyone lives in the area - it's a good idea to let people know where you're emailing from.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Aminah Bee said...

When I was in USA, I met many Americans who thought Singapore is in China.
:-0
No kidding!
:-D

10/10/05 6:58 PM  
Anonymous the letter b said...

Dawn - sorry to say this but they think the world revolves around their country. that's why if you watch just any hollywood movie, you'd see that huge country called the U S of A right smack right in the centre and cover 99.9% of the globe? so if you told them your from outside their country they'd view you with suspicion or that your an alien.

you can well imagine my relief when in the UK they know where singapore is. but then again it was the older folks. the younger ones don't believe anyone out of asia could speak as good english as they do.

Aminah - i received this letter from the states: blah blah, Republic of Singapore, Japan.

it didn't strike them that there shouldn't be a separate republic in a soverign country but it says alot about them.

11/10/05 10:18 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

I agree - but it's sort of interesting to me that some Singaporeans also think that not only does everyone live in Singapore, but right in their estate! I guess it's natural for most of us to be used to the familiar and expect others to be to. When I ask people for specific directions, people will say, oh near the petrol station or bus depot when I have NO idea where that is.

11/10/05 10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home