Friday, November 25, 2005

Cats and Kids

I read these two articles and was struck by the mention of cats in the second letter. When I read the letter about children and how people should tolerate their behaviour, it struck me that some parents are like some feeders - ie unable to see that their children or their cats can ever be in the wrong.

It also occurred to me that just like children and cats, I would think that the majority of people don't dislike either children or cats (or for that matter dogs, construction, etc) but that it only becomes an issue when the child or cat or whatever it is starts to bother other people.

For example, when I flew to the US last year for CHAMP, there was a baby on board. I didn't even see the baby because he or she was sitting somewhere behind, but I certainly noticed him or her when the baby cried for the duration of the flight. Similarly this year, I sat next to a quiet man - quiet that is until he went to sleep and snored the entire flight. I certainly don't hate men or babies - but I was cranky and sleep-deprived by the time I arrived and certainly not thinking happy thoughts at that particular moment.

The thing is at the end of the day, it's about tolerance - not just for children or cats, but just in general. At the same time, parents and caregivers should be responsible.

It's interesting to me that it's politically incorrect to say anything against the behaviour of children (and not as it is commonly confused with, against children themselves), but that it seems that people have no qualms complaining about cats. If we're preaching compassion and tolerance, then I would hope it extends to all - after all, that is the best example to set for the next generation.

2 Comments:

Anonymous jennyanydots said...

Well said. Must remember this the next time some running kids tripped me over in the supermart during the school holidays. Hope that applies to others when they see a community cat minding its own business in the neighbourhood.

26/11/05 4:06 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

:)

26/11/05 5:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home