Friday, December 16, 2005

AWOL Foster

This woman wrote in the other day to say she needed a foster desperately. Both she and another friend wanted to take some kittens off the street. She had found them dumped. Her friend had not sterilised the mother cat and now it had kittens. I turned her friend down, but this woman said that the cats were newborns and she needed a foster desperately.

As I told her, and as I tell everyone, we literally have a handful of fosters and they are all full. Quite a few have also left the country for holidays. I told her that a girl had just written in, but that I had no idea whom this girl was. I said that if she really wanted to place the cats with her, I would give her the number. I checked with the girl who was agreeable.

The woman wanted to know if it was 'safe' to leave the kittens with the foster. I reiterated I had no idea whom this girl was and it was up to her to try and find out. I also told her to send the kittens to the foster and not have her collect them.

Since then I emailed the foster a few times and called a number of times to see what's happening. The foster has not replied. I called the woman who said she last spoke to the foster last week, and now she cannot get hold of her either.

I told her that we could at least check out the foster's house, but it turns out she dropped the foster and the kittens at a jogging track somewhere. So now she has no idea where this foster lives either.

6 Comments:

Blogger Mary said...

Oh dear, hopefully the kittens are well taken care of and not abused/dumped somewhere. This woman is indeed 'stupid' to have alight this girl and the kittens at the jogging track (despite your advice that she delivers the kittens). Doesn't she want to confirm for herself that her kittens will indeed be 'safe' with the girl?

16/12/05 5:58 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

She said that when she spoke to the girl last week, she said that the cats were fine and she might adopt them out to the neighbours. Now the woman is getting worried, and the girl still isn't answering the phone.

16/12/05 6:07 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

She does not know where this girl live, that means she herself has not been visiting 'her' kittens to ensure they are indeed well taken care of.

16/12/05 6:10 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Another woman earlier this year begged for a foster. She said that she had found an injured cat. In the six months, she never visited the cat once. She did not pay for food and litter. She did not even help put up posters. I had to take the photos, bring a scratching post and the rest of it. Luckily, the cat found a wonderful home.

Before the cat was even adopted out, the woman asked me if I could get her another foster.

16/12/05 6:37 PM  
Anonymous bc said...

I really do not understand how anyone who professes to care SO MUCH can just take everything about the foster at face value. Neither do I get the ones who profess to care SO MUCH and then go on to be absolutely irresponsible by not reimbursing a single cent to the foster. Where is the decency in such an act? Is it any wonder there are so few fosters? The best ones are those who get on the high horse and lecture all and sundry, and yet, they are the ones with skeletons bulking up the closet. TSK!

16/12/05 10:11 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

There are some wonderful fosters - 5 Cat and Flyers are two of them, and some very concerned people who've picked up the cats. Unfortunately, some people will give the cat to anyone - some people do the same for adoption. In that case, the cat might actually be better off on the street.

16/12/05 11:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home