Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Inspirational caregiver

I met a caregiver earlier this year who has been really inspiring. She comes from Myanmar and is here to accompany her husband who is here studying. They are financing his education out of their savings.

When she first wrote in, I don't think she knew very much about sterilisation. Her husband mentioned to me that where they come from, cats are treated differently - they are to catch mice and serve a function. However, once the caregiver found out a bit more about sterilisation and management, she was extremely dedicated. With her modest means, she has sterilised almost all the cats in a short period of time. She borrowed two traps and learnt how to trap the cats. She even met with the manager and I went along and she said she would take care of complaints.

She has helped mediate problems, spoken to neighbours who are abandoning cats and helped to clean up the corridor where the cats were defecating.

Quite a few people say they can't sterilise, they can't afford it, etc. However I can see how much more difficult it must be for this caregiver coming to a country where the culture and language are different from what she is used to. Her friends scold her for sterilising the cats and say that she is being cruel. Yet despite the fact that it's costing her quite a lot of money and time, she's doing a great job.

I know she reads this blog, so I'd like to ask her to keep up the great work! You're an inspiration to us all.

5 Comments:

Blogger cat_aunty said...

clap clap well done!

20/12/05 8:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our role model - for cat sterilisation and cat management.

20/12/05 8:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps this couple will bring the TnRM concept back to their country and perhaps even start a Myanmar Cat Welfare Society?

21/12/05 10:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you very much, Dawn.
I am sure to try my best.

Hi anonymous,

I really want to bring TnRM concept and start a society as you said. But the situation is different. There are almost no stray cat in my country but stray dogs and sadly stray children. At least I can help stray dogs and educate people to sterilize their pets.

Best regards,
Nan Nan.

21/12/05 1:39 PM  
Blogger vegancat said...

Dear Nan Nan
On behalf of the community cats of Singapore, thank you very much. I hope more Singaporeans will be inspired to put in their bit to improve the welfare of our cats.

21/12/05 2:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home