Monday, February 13, 2006

Working together with other caregivers

I've written quite a lot about working with the town councils, MCs, and the like, but it's really important to work with other caregivers in your estate too. Many people have different ways of dealing with a situation, and you may for example, feel that someone else may not be doing things very well.

I just got off the phone with some caregivers. The pest control had come down and was about to trap the cats because there had been complaints about food left all over the place. Instead of working together, the feeders then started to fight. One feeder accused the other of being the one littering. It got so bad that the other feeder told the supervisor to just trap all the cats and remove them.

A third person was there, a caregiver who was trying to help, so she called me and I spoke to both feeders.

I told the first feeder that as she did not have independent proof, we could all argue till the cows came home. I suggested that she just get a camera and take photos of whomever it was who was making a mess. She agreed.

I told the second feeder that I was not accusing her of anything and that fighting and asking for the cats to be removed didn't help the cats. She apologised and said she lost her temper. I told her that we need to work together and not fight otherwise the town council would also wonder if it was worth working with people who could not put their differences aside.

Both feeders agreed and decided to try and put aside their differences for now. None of the cats were caught as the supervisor agreed to try and work with them to find out whom was littering.

2 Comments:

Anonymous bc said...

I sure hope it works out... ultimately, I believe it boils down to 2 questions we need to ask ourselves:
1) What exactly am I doing?
2) Are my actions in sync with my aim?
... ok so a 3rd one is needed:
3) How can I work with, vs against, others to achieve my aim?

We're all doing because we want to do the right thing for the cats, and to help with the situation, not throw obstacles in the way.

Everybody needs to remember that.

13/2/06 1:25 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Exactly.

14/2/06 1:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home