Wednesday, May 24, 2006

"Educating the cats"

What a pleasant way to start off a morning - I just spoke to a very irate couple who were both only interested in ranting but not in solving the problem.

It seems that they have complained to the town council in the past about defecation outside their door. I have just spoken to the town council officer who has clarified that the defecation is actually outside their neighbour's door, a floor up.

At any rate, I told them that I understood this was a problem, at which point the woman went on a rant about how no one could understand unless they lived in her block. She wanted a team of volunteers to be on call for 24 hours to pick up defecation within half an hour. I tried to explain about why the cats come back, and she said she was not interested in facts. She insisted I must know all the cat feeders in Singapore because I am with the Society.

Neither of them were interested in giving me any details, and the woman hung up on me twice after ranting. The husband came on the line when I called back and repeated what the woman said, they did not hate the cats, but they hated the defecation. I told him that we were interested in a long term solution and finding out why the cats were going upstairs. I said it was about getting people to feed properly. He insisted that the source of the problem was the cats, not the feeders. His analogy was that his parents fed him, but he knew where to defecate. When I pointed out that his parents had to teach him how to do so properly, he quickly changed the subject.

He insisted instead that we must either remove the source (which he disagreed was the improper feeding) or educate the cats. I told him that as he was not against the cats as he kept insisting, that we should try and solve the problem rather than killing the cats, at which point, he said he was not an animal activist.

I suggested using mothballs in the meantime, but he said it was not his job. It was also not his job to give me details. He said that if he had to meet me when I came down, he would charge me because time is money.

He also insisted the town council was angry with the volunteers for tying their hands and refusing to allow them to remove the cats. I asked him which officer this was, and he said it was not his job to find this out.

I spoke to the town council officer and she said that she had not said that she was unhappy with the volunteers to the couple. I told her that we will look into the matter. It turns out there are at least two households that let their cats out in that block. In addition, she said that the wife had called her and said she was ashamed to be living in a block with defecation. She also said that she had heard sounds of cats mating once, and it was disgusting as she did not know what to tell her children. Such charming people.

6 Comments:

Blogger vegancat said...

It is quite obvious here the "WHO" who needs to be educated.

If we can take photos of what are the REAL disgusting things "lying all over the place" in that block and its vicinity, I am sure cat-poo pales in comparison!

24/5/06 1:18 PM  
Blogger auntie p said...

I am ashamed to have ppl such as this couple living on the same small island. What am I going to tell my future children and grandchildren? I am not against having them as fellow Singaporeans, I am just against their ugly behaviour. I need the moral police on call 24 hrs a day to come and tell this couple to shut up, stop their nonsense and stop making others' lives miserable.

Thank you. ;-PPP

24/5/06 2:20 PM  
Anonymous imp said...

you've the patience of a saint, dawn. i'd have just told them that since you're not interested in meeting up to solve the problem ,then i assume you're not interested paying the volunteers to be on standby 24hrs a day.

24/5/06 6:34 PM  
Anonymous kaori said...

"She wanted a team of volunteers to be on call for 24 hours to pick up defecation within half an hour."
Yes Your Majesty, will you like the defecation served with your tea?

I can cleary see why the couple are so intolerant of cats when they can behave so shabbily towards others. Pity their children.

24/5/06 9:19 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Kaori, I laughed at that :)

Imp - cat lovers 'caused' the problem, so they must take of it for the couple according to the man.

24/5/06 9:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can we complain to the town council that parents like this couple who "love" children should also response within half an hour to shut up screaming kids along the common corridors and playgrounds as their love of kids is the cause of such noise?

27/5/06 11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home