Monday, June 26, 2006

Don't be discouraged

I was speaking with a volunteer and she mentioned that she felt very discouraged because she had gone to see her MP and then her town council had written to her to say that some people do not want cats in her estate. She said she felt very let down by their attitude and felt like giving up.

I told her that the most important thing is to remember that you often don't get support on the first try but that it is very important not to give up. Sometimes it's about trying to get your point across and sometimes it doesn't work the first time, but try and try again. As long as you know your facts, stay calm and keep persisting, it will happen.

There have been many moments when I have been discouraged and wanted to give up, but at the same time I'm very glad I didn't. To see all the work that all of you do is an encouragement to me and keeps me plodding along - and know that you aren't alone. There are many other caregivers who are also doing what you do and who may have encountered setbacks. The most important thing is not to give up.

5 Comments:

Blogger vegancat said...

CWS is a great morale booster to caregivers like myself. Ask the volunteer to speak to her neighbours. I am sure she will find some who like cats or do not want cats kiled. Get their names and send them to the TC officers and remind them that TC serves ALL residents. If even the volunteer is the ONLY ONE who wants cats to be in the estate, she has as much as right as those the TC claims do not want cats.

26/6/06 9:19 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Well said Vegancat - and I think she just needed a little bit of a pep talk. She isn't alone and she has support - but I think we sometimes ALL need a pep talk.

26/6/06 10:15 PM  
Anonymous mr giggles said...

Yes, pls ask this lady to tell her TC that some residents also don't want smokers living there, or gamblers playing mahjong into the night, or loud karaoke singers who are often tone-deaf, or even birds (arrrgggh, BIRD FLU) in their estate. They also don't want cockraoches, lizards, spiders, oh, and not forgetting the ubiquitos insect called litter-bug.

27/6/06 12:30 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Good point Mr Giggles.

27/6/06 1:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ask the volunteer not to be discouraged. It takes time to overcome some obstacles and difficulties. Some problems will eventually solve by itself and some can be solved later. Do not rush or panic. Only a minority dislike cats but I am sure the majority like cats.

Many times, I wanted to give up but till to-date (2 years already) I am still feeding the strays, sterilising them, sending them to the vets for treatment, tracing their whereabouts, cleaning their wounds and injuries etc. etc. I am not giving up yet, why should you?
Keep trying. Just think abt the good deeds you are doing for the cats and you will be absolutely happy and contented.

27/6/06 1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home