Monday, June 12, 2006

Why Sterilise ? One caregiver's response

I was speaking with a caregiver this morning. She said that people moved out of a block of flats because it was to be pulled down and many left all their cats when they moved. She was advised not to get them sterilised by a friend because they said that with the sheer number of cats, they were going to get caught anyway so she might as well save her money.

What this caregiver(who is the most hardworking, amazing caregiver I know) said is that she would handle complaints, she would try as hard as she could to make sure that they would not get caught, but she was not going to stop sterilising the cats even if they were eventually caught. Her logic is that while these cats may get caught, she is preventing all the future generations of kittens from being born who would have been born and then been caught and killed too. Hopefully by controlling the population they will not get caught she said, but even if they do, if say 10 sterilised cats are caught, at least it's not the 50 or 60 that would have been caught and killed if they WEREN'T.

She also said that shelters weren't an option. She knew friends who were running out of money and could not maintain the cats any longer in shelters and now could not be returned. She said that some she had seen had been appallingly dirty. Others offered to send the cats somewhere else for a few thousand dollars - she warned her friends against them.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Last month, my cat was caught by the TC and being destroyed. She is a mother cat who gave birth to 4 kittens in March. I sent her for sterilisation.

However, she likes to hang around at the shop fronts and the shop owners didn't like her presence. When I feed her, I will coax and bring her to the back of the void deck, so that nobody can see us.
She is a very good cat, tame and quiet. Yet the shop owners hate her like poison. Just don't understand why these people are so wicked.

They complained to the TC, and that's the end of my cat, no sight of her anymore..

TC has no right to round up sterilised cat. They have no reason to do it. I have spent so much efforts and time to sterilise the cat and in the end, all my efforts went down into the drain.
I was very sad. What about our grievances? Who knows??

13/6/06 12:17 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Anonymous call up and let the TC know. They don't know that people WANT the cats around - and if you don't tell them they never will.

If she's sterilised, you may still have a chance to claim her back. Did you talk to the TC?

13/6/06 12:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hv spoken to the TC and the officer in charge asked me to phone their nominated contractor (their pest controller). I phoned their contractor and they referred me back to the TC. They refused to entertain me. They claimed that only the TC has the right to liaise with them and not the general public. It's a kind of pushing around business...
Merry Go Round..

I then phoned SPCA and AVA to check for my cat but they said my cat is not with them. I hv been calling them every other day, but no news of my cat.

Give up.

14/6/06 1:20 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

I'm sorry to hear that Anonymous. Will you email me the details? The TC has no right to give you the merry go round, so let me know a bit more so I can follow up with them.

14/6/06 2:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My cat was 'lost' on 25th April 2006 and it's coming to 2 months now.

It's too late. They must have killed my cat. Anyway, I will try to dig out the details from my files. I hope I didn't dispose it.

THANKS DAWN.

14/6/06 5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home