Monday, July 17, 2006

The importance of good volunteers Part II

I spoke with a caregiver this morning who wanted me to go down for his Meet the Peoples' session. He wanted me to meet with his MP and introduce me. I spoke with him at some length and explained that while I would be happy to meet his MP and explain TNRM to him, I didn't think a Meet the Peoples' session was the most appropriate venue. At the end of the day, I said the most important thing is to show they have residents' support. He kept insisting because he wanted to show there was a framework and a structure, but as I said, there is no point having a framework if there are no volunteers. He said that the feeders in the area do not want to see the MP - and again, that is not going to inspire confidence.

At the end of the day, the MPs and the town councils also want to see the same thing - that there are volunteers in the area. If there aren't any, the very real question of where the manpower is coming from will pop up. Citing numerous feeders who do not want to give their names does not really make one feel that the programme is going to work.

Off to speak with young impressionable minds at SMU about volunteerism!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home