Thursday, August 24, 2006

Meowing


Meowing
Originally uploaded by dawnkua.

This is one of the few cats I saw. They were all unsterilised, but there really weren't many of them - and they were friendly too, which makes me think pest control hasn't been around to do a major round up yet.

I was told to speak with the market holder who told me a lot of people feed but almost nobody sterilises. I've asked her to help us get in contact with the people there to get them to start sterilising. She said that she knows most of the feeders, but that she thinks they won't sterilise because they are all generally older. Sigh.

I have heard there is a lot of indiscriminate feeding. The childcare centre said there is food near the mailboxes everyday. Yet no one sees to know whom the feeders are, except for the florist. I also met a woman who said she cycled around and fed all the cats but did not sterilise. She insisted that cats do not attack. I asked her to please feed further way and to get her cats done, so she took down the details.

Interestingly, when I was walking around the Lees block, and asked people if they had problems with the cats, I spoke to two people in adjoining units. One unit said there were a lot of cats that came up and bothered them, the one next door said that they had no problems with the cats whatsoever.

A caregiver wrote in and said people have started calling her town council to complain about the article already.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey dawn thanks for forwarding me to ivan. And wah you blog alot man. I checked in the evening and 4 hours later, 3-4 more blogs... you the cat-woman!Shijia here, by the way...

24/8/06 10:50 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Thanks for helping out!

25/8/06 1:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think whether a cat problem is perceived depends on personality and attitude toward cats. what is a "problem" for one person is ok for another.

as for the cats, the situation seems rather unusual. they are unsterilised but there are not many of them? many feeders but not one among them seems to know abt TNRM? perhaps with some flyering some of the feeders will step forward and take the initiative. after all, Yishun is not known for being a town of old ppl. i am sure there are young caregivers ard who will understand the importance of sterilisation and what it means for the cat population in the long run.

25/8/06 11:25 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Yes it IS very unusual. One young woman I did meet said there were a lot of elderly people feeding. She had a pregnant cat outside her shop which she was feeding but she said it belonged to another storeholder.I have her all the information and she said she can't trap the cat. I've told her that I can bring the trap by for her if she needs it. She says she'll speak with the other person, and she gave me her number so I can follow up.

25/8/06 11:34 AM  
Blogger vegancat said...

I wonder if AVA or TC will publicize TnRM. I think if many feeders are aware that of TnRM, they will step forward. Win-win situation - eventually less cats to feed and some protection for them.

25/8/06 12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is a small brown kitten (probably 2 months old) roaming at Yishun Stadium (at the metallic stairs). The last time I saw him was last week. I am not sure if he is still there as I don't go there everyday ...

25/8/06 4:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home