Friday, September 22, 2006

TNP (22-9-06)

Thanks Vegancat for sending this in. I was just speaking with one of the producers the other day about how cats can be such comfort to seniors who are living alone - or anyone living alone for that matter :-

It's Purr Trigger Memory

A woman I know suffering from depression said for example, that she got up in the morning because she had to feed her cats. If not there was no reason to get up at all. Another woman I know living on her own told me that without her cats, there was no reason to keep living - her children no longer visited her, she had mild schizophrenia, and her cats were the one constant in her life. Another woman adopted some cats to keep her husband company - her husband has Lou Gehrig's disease and the cats keep him company.

Your chances of surviving a heart attack are better if you have a pet. You are less likely to be stressed. So hug your cat or dog today!

5 Comments:

Blogger koratmao said...

i'v seen TV ads in US encouraging elderly to adopt pets as survey showed that people with pets are least likely to suffer depression and they do live longer and healthier, especially for those whose partner has passed on.
one of my elderly friend in England even made written plans for his great dane shall he pass on before the dog.
For me, no matter how bad my day is, there isn't a single day i didn't smile when my tom tom rushed to greet me at doorstep.

22/9/06 12:20 PM  
Blogger vegancat said...

However pets can be an obstacle to frail elderly in the home as they do trip over them. But definitely for the majority of well elderly, animal companions are fantastic antidote to an elderly's fear of loneliness, boredom and a sense of uselessness.
I have seen elderly taking care of community cats (such as Vodka) and I heard from a friend who lives in Toa Payoh of how a group of elderly aunties who meet daily to feed the community cats and how they also take turn to keep an eye from a Karang-Guni man who was "reputed" to abuse cats.

22/9/06 12:27 PM  
Blogger calsifer said...

With a rapidly greying population, increasing concerns about the elderly's health, and 80% living in HDB, it really makes nonsense for the cat ban.

Hopefully, as Singapore wakes up to the idea of pets as beneficial and encourage the elderly to adopt, the issue with what happens should their pets outlive them would also be considered.

Kudos to Dr Blake for her bravery in facing her situation, and especially for saying this in regards to having to give up her current lifestyle: 'When I think it's time, I will pack up for the rest of my life and move out of here, ... But I'll only go if I can take my cats with me.'

22/9/06 2:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually are there any schemes that have trained tame cats serve as therapy tools for mentally disabled and the elderly in Singapore?

I know in the west, they have programs in which they reform prisoners with cats, cheer up elderly in homes with visits from dogs and cats.

I dont mind volunteering my two cats when they are alittle older.

Adriane

23/9/06 5:44 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Problem is you can't really train them - in other countries the cats live IN the homes.

23/9/06 7:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home