Monday, September 25, 2006

Why don't you stop AVA from killing the cats that I send to them?

I just spoke with a guy who trapped a community cat in the area. It turns out he runs a child care centre and some of the cats come in at night. He says they have been defecating in the area.

He said he has a large garden and that he cannot keep them out with strings. I suggested using the Scarecrow, but he has no hose in the area he says. He also said he did not want to worry about the water bill.

I suggested using a spray, but he said they had used sprays on the monkeys. No idea what sprays, but he didn't want to try it.

Then I suggested that the caregiver would be more than happy to come over and pick up the defecation. He said that he cannot do that because it might be inconvenient for him. There might be safety issues or she might forget to close the gate. I told him that she lived just a few houses down, and that of course she could come by whenever is convenient for him. I said I suggested he be there to let her in but that she could come by whenever he called to ensure the place is clean.

He said that he did not want to inconvenience her because he wasn't paying her. I told him that he should put that out of his mind as she was happy to do it. Furthermore, trapping her cats was inconveniencing her far more than that.

Then he mentioned that it might be inconvenient for him. I told him that considering he can call her whenever he comes in and she'll be right over, I didn't think it would be too much trouble. Plus, she lived just a few houses down.

Then he went into a long rant about training the cats. He said that like children, they must be trained, so they don't take drugs (!). I told him there was a big difference between home cats and community cats, and that these were not owned cats. He kept insisting they were owned cats because they looked well fed.

My favourite moment was when he said he could keep sending the cats to the AVA. I told him the cats were being killed without a solution in sight as there would still be defecation. He said however that AVA should not be allowed to kill cats. He said that animal welfare groups should stop AVA from killing cats. I said that as long as he keeps sending cats in, they'll kill them!

I told him that since of course, he said he liked animals in a way, that he should look at alternatives that stop the defecation but still allowed the animals not to be killed.

Then at the end, he said he would think about it and get back to me. He said possiblty the manual cleaning would be the best option.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

To quote him, and if I were there I'd suggest to him that *MAYBE* he can write to the AVA requesting them not to kill the cats.

Animal welfare groups to tell AVA? Which planet is he from?

25/9/06 5:46 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

This man is contradicting himself. He is trying to appear less guilty by saying AVA should not kill; and pushing the responsibility to the welfare groups to stop the killing. Why send the cats in to be killed in the 1st place; why not try to work with the caregiver instead of giving so many excuses.

25/9/06 5:48 PM  
Anonymous DB said...

I agree. This man just doesn't want to take responsibility but wants to appear kind-hearted and guiltless at the same time.

Or maybe that's how I read his actions. Whatever the case may be, it tells me one thing: We need widespread education, period!

25/9/06 7:26 PM  
Anonymous Sharon said...

scratching my head left rite centre ... what this guy is trying to say ... or is he juz confused ... :-|

sharon

25/9/06 8:16 PM  
Blogger vegancat said...

He is trying to balance his "business" interest with compassion.

25/9/06 11:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about suggesting to him to board up his garden? At least it's a long term solution. I do not know what his fencing is like but I have seen people living in landed properties do that.

26/9/06 8:29 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Nope - he said someone suggested 'strings' to him (I think he meant fencing) and he says his garden is too big being 7000 square feet.

26/9/06 9:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

basically he just wants the problem to go away without having to do more than give a single phone call (to the AVA). he's not interested in the long term mgt of this issue.

to be honest i don't think he really cares what happens to the cats after they are taken away. as long as they don't bother him anymore. only when u press him to acknowledge that they are being killed does he give the politically correct answer that he thinks they shldn't be put down.

what happened to the cat he sent to AVA? was the caregiver able to rescue it in time?

26/9/06 9:53 AM  
Anonymous DB said...

Well, fencing that is about 30 feet will cost him approximately S$3,000 ... so you guys do the math.

I honestly don't think this guy really cares what happens to the cats ...

26/9/06 9:58 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

db exactly. I will suggest it to him again if he calls back though. I did give him a range of solutions, but towards the end, you could tell he just wanted to hang up. When I suggested another solution, he wasn't paying attention.

26/9/06 10:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

pictures of how these cats are being killed in AVA should be painted into his thick skull if there is anything inside that skull
!!! sorry ... I am angry !
while he is in his stupid state, how many more cats are being sent and killed ?
Should put him in the form of a cat and send him in to AVA now to feel for himself how is it like to be killed by AVA.

26/9/06 11:44 AM  
Blogger vegancat said...

If only we can put photos of cats killed into the newspaper orbituary pages and "thank" the people responsible.

26/9/06 10:59 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Interestingly I did see someone's obituary the other day which listed her family and all her pets.

26/9/06 11:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home