Saturday, October 14, 2006

ACRES Wildlife Rescue Centre

I realised I forgot to mention that ACRES is starting a wildlife centre. I'm sure some of you read about it in the news. I was speaking with Louis about it today and they sound like great plans!

I know that I've said that I don't think shelters are the solution to the community cat problem (though the animals in well run shelters undoubtedly have good, happy lives) but this is of course different. The main difference of course is that you can't sterilise a tarantula and release it back to the environment, because what environment is it going to go back into? There aren't any community tarantulas - they've been imported and then dumped and cannot survive in the wild, nor can many of these other animals.

So here's the link if you'd like to donate to the ACRES Wildlife Rescue Centre. If you do decide to donate after reading about it here, I have one request - do drop Louis a note with your donation and let him know where you read about it, so he'll stop teasing me about my blog :)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

will this sanctuary be open to visitors?

14/10/06 7:05 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Yes - and they hope the public won't just visit but be a part of it! Do go to the website to read about it.

14/10/06 7:10 PM  
Blogger Hai~Ren said...

Actually, in the case of exotic pets, I think they'd be more than capable of fending for themselves in the wild (especially invertebrates, and reptiles and amphibians), and then we'd have all that trouble with introduced species breeding and killing off native wildlife.

14/10/06 10:22 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

hai~ren - you may be right. Either way they need to be taken into the shelter. I'm sure everyone remembers the case of the snakehead fish not native to the area, and released in US waters a year or two ago and the problems they caused to the ecosystem!

17/10/06 10:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home