Friday, October 20, 2006

Letting home cats out

Anonymous wrote below that some people like to let their home cats out. That's absolutely true and a huge source of problems. If someone lets their cats out, they are likely to defecate and make a mess. So how do you stop them?

Anonymous suggested education - and of course that's good, but a lot of people honestly don't see an issue with letting the cats out. They insist that the cats NEED to go out, despite all evidence to the contrary. As the other Anonymous person who posted mentioned, even his or her grandmother felt that way.

Another group of people who do this (and I think it is a significant group) are people who do not want to be caught by the HDB ruling - so the best thing to do is to let their cat roam about. This way, they won't get into any trouble should the cat be seen in the corridor. Yet it can come in and out and be loosely 'owned'.

Views in different countries differ. When I speak with expatriates, often a good first indicator of where they're from is how they feel about cats roaming. In GENERAL, in England, they feel cats should roam. In the US, it's the opposite. In many ways it depends on the situation and what your home is like.

In Singapore though, we are a small country and we have an extremely high population density. People live so closely to each other - and hence their cats do too. As such, it is best to keep your cats in - it's the only safe way.

I'm still having PC problems today - hence the fewer posts. Someone is coming in to fix the Net connection this afternoon.

11 Comments:

Blogger Mary said...

i have cats and a dog and i feel comforted that my 'children' are safe at home; free from the danger of the sun, rain, parasites and strangers.

20/10/06 3:09 PM  
Blogger Hai~Ren said...

One problem I'm aware of in the UK and US is that cats catch and kill a large number of small wildlife.

I'm not sure if this is a significant problem locally, and whether or not cats still hunt actively, but I think it's something that merits investigation.

I could never bear with allowing a cat that I called my own to roam outside unsupervised. The risks and dangers are too many.

20/10/06 3:11 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Hai-ren - actually the studies on that don't really bear up that assertion. They've found a lot of the hoo-ha about animals being killed was due to the fact that people are decimating the areas by cutting down the habitat. Look at the monkeys moving into housing estates in the news of late - it's also because we're displacing wildlife. They either adapt or die.

Having said that, even bearing in mind those concerns, it still doesn't explain why in the US, it's considered good to keep the cats in, and in the UK, it's the converse.

20/10/06 3:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have seen some japanese letting their cats roam..with a lease. kinda bring the cat out for a walk. it feels weird when i see the owner walking the cat , with a lease....

20/10/06 5:00 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Better to look a little funny but be safe right? :)

20/10/06 5:34 PM  
Blogger KXBC said...

There is this house cat in my block which is let out by its owner at night. Heard its bell but have never seen it before. It has been peeing and defecating at one of my flower pots for a few weeks already. Luckily it did it in my pot and not my neighbours'. I'm not sure if my neighbours care if that cat will be culled when they complain to the TC.

20/10/06 8:33 PM  
Anonymous HW said...

I always and always will keep wondering, who in the right mind here would let their home cats roam outside?? Singapore like you all have said, is tight and congested, for everyone and every being... and it is also not very safe to let your cats roam... just take dogs for example, who would let their dogs roam about??

I really don't understand, if you really love and care for your cat(s), you would keep them indoors, I do with mine, and the more they stay indoors, the more they "stay out of trouble" and chances are, that either your neighbour will not know about it or they will not be disturb or annoy but the cats, should they be not cat or animal lovers... then there will be no complains and problems...

Keep your cats home! Cheers

21/10/06 2:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw a cat with a collar roaming around my neighbourhood a few days ago. Young, female kitten...She was out for a whole day and there was a male cat out there trying to mate with her. I think she was still unsterilised. Irresponsible owners like that contribute to the growing cat population, which of course, leads to some of the problems we're facing right now. i wish there were something we could do about these people.

21/10/06 10:38 AM  
Blogger vegancat said...

Can you try and trap the unsterilized female for sterilization? It will be doing the cat a favour. Tip the ear.

22/10/06 6:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is very true that Expats esp those from UK think that cats must be let out.

Have a English friend and he feels that it is a sin that I keep my cats indoor. Got really worked up when I said I got a leash to try to train them to go for walks under supervision. Said that in England, you will get into trouble with RSPCA for being cruel to the cat. Also got really worked up when he found out my cats have been trained to sit and presently teaching other commands... say that it is unnatural... I really wonder why the hoo haa.... I mean we do that to dogs and is it natural?

24/10/06 10:58 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

I think it's really a case of no such thing as one size fits all. If you live in a huge area where no cars go by, there's probably less harm in letting your cats go out. MOST harm really comes from people though - and people just live too close to one another in Singapore.

24/10/06 11:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home