Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Can I release the cat back?

A TC officer called. They had gone down and trapped a cat because it was causing problems on the ninth floor of a block. The cat was unsterilised I asked why she had not called us first and I think she was so new she did not know what to do. I told her that it was likely to be a home cat and not a community cat that she had caught.

She asked what was usually done with cats caught and I said that the TCs usually send them to the AVA. She asked if the cat would then be sterilised. I told her that the cat would be killed. She stopped short, and then asked if she could release the cat back then. She also said she would call first before trapping in an area again.

I told her we still need to find out whom the feeder or owner is or the problem will reoccur. She had walked around but said she could not find the owner. Unfortunately we do not know a single person in that area. Rebecca offered to go down and take a look.

The officer also agreed to hold the cat in her office to see if anyone calls to claim it.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This TC officer sounds like a nice lady. At least she didn't just give it to the AVA knowing that the cat will be killed.

Hopefully the owner will come and claim the cat soon. And hopefully, the owner will sterilise the cat. Letting an unsterilised cat wander around is really not a good idea.

Marilyn

8/11/06 4:12 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

This shows how little training/knowledge these TC officers have pertaining to our feline friends. And yes, she definitely sounds nice and sincere enough to want the best for this feline.

8/11/06 4:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It could be a sterilised home-cat, just that the ear is not tipped? Ppl who keep cats should be 'brave' enough to give the cat a collar. By not 'collaring' the cat can mean that 'it's my cat but I don't really want to own it in case HDB comes knocking. Thats what a lot of ppl who let their cats roam do. Very bad pracitce in my opinion. My cats are collared with name n phone number, plus micro-chip.

8/11/06 5:14 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Yes Marilyn she does sound pretty nice - which is why I didn't kick up a fuss that she didn't call the volunteers first. I think it was a genuine mistake - not a case of maliciously trying to trap the cats when no volunteer was looking.

Anonymous 2 is right - it could very well be a sterilised home cat with no tipped ear. i do hope we can find out whose cat it is. I really doubt a cat wandering around on the 9th floor is a community cat.

8/11/06 5:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home