Monday, November 27, 2006

Cleaners

I just replied to someone who suggested that we start an awareness campaign targeted at cleaners working in HDB estates. She mentioned some cleaners are not very friendly towards cats and that one of the feeders in the area had been told to bring the cats home. She also said she had an unpleasant incident with a cleaner in her estate too. She also mentioned that this may be due to cultural differences.

It's an interesting point. However there are a number of reasons we aren't going to be specifically targeting cleaners. Firstly, there is the situation that most of them are employees and do what they are told to do by their employers - they may not WANT to trap cats but are told to do so for example. In fact quite a few caregivers have said the cleaners are the sympathetic ones, while the TC officer may not be. It is therefore better to target the upper management and try and get them to change their policies - as it is we can already see that sometimes convincing officer after officer is more time consuming then say talking to the GM.

Secondly while there is a cultural difference, I'm not sure that means that many of the cleaners who may be foreigners are therefore less feeling towards animals. Often the opposite is true. Thirdly of course there is a language problem in some cases.

I also told the woman that the best way to raise awareness is in a situation like hers or the other feeders, which is to speak directly to the person. In a situation like that, it is a great opportunity to have a word with the person and explaining TNRM and what exactly the caregivers are trying to do. Every occasion when someone comes up to speak to you while you are caring for your cats is an excellent opportunity to educate them.

4 Comments:

Blogger auntie p said...

You're right that the cleaners don't pose a problem. In fact, the Malay cleaners are fine with the cats, and the foreign ones - well, just have a friendly word with them, and they will leave the bowls of drinking water alone most of the time (unless there is some event or inspection going on, and they have to do as they're told).

28/11/06 11:07 AM  
Anonymous Big Ears said...

My water bowl is being crushed on a daily basis and just last Sunday that I had an encounter with a Bangladeshi who deliberately sprayed insecticide into my cats’ water bowl. I was fuming mad and when around to look for him. Though I was emotional but I know I can’t be rude with him as he is always working around my area and I’m not. For the sick of my cats, I told him what he did will kill the cats. He said residence complain and I told him don’t worry; I’m on top of things with TC. I put him back into the scenario and I ask him in return how much he like it if he travels all the way to SG and I constantly crush his rice bowl?

And the crushing of water bowl stop and today is already the 4th day.

29/11/06 1:53 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

I'm glad you had a word with him and that he was willing to listen. Does the TC know you're looking after the cats and about the water bowls?

29/11/06 11:53 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

29/11/06 11:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home