Friday, November 03, 2006

Getting the facts of the case

I found out that the person who was being complained about was the feeder at the block. I've only spoken with this woman once before (and remember that I had quite a hard time trying to convince her of something then).

It turns out she leaves her cat outside in the corridor in a cage and that she lets it out. So of course the cat goes and urinates outside someone else's house and the person complained.

When I spoke with her, she kept insisting that her cat is trained to go down and urinate at a certain time, but she admitted it might go and urinate outside someone's home.

I asked if she can just keep the cat in. She said she cannot - it does not get along with her other cats and it does not like to stay in. I asked if she cannot put it downstairs. She says the cat is too timid.

It turns out she also leaves food in the corridor. She claims she normally leaves it in the cage but her mother will come out and leave food in the corridor too. The officer said it was quite messy.

She started complaining that she had been doing this for five years and had no problems and that the neighbours were horrible for not talking to her directly, and where now looking for problems. She complained that other people had plants in the corridor and it was messy. She said everyone was looking for problems because they hate cats.

Now I agree - it would have been good for the neighbour to speak with her directly. But the fact remains there is a problem. In fact, she didn't even seem very surprised when I called. So why not rectify the situation?

I told her we don't encourage people to feed cats in the corridor, and she said I kept missing her point. I asked what her point was and she said that this was HER cat. I told her I had understood what she was trying to say, but that she needed to keep her cat in if it was indeed her cat. I told her cats CAN get used to living indoors. She said I didn't understand the 'facts' of the case and that there I went again trying to tell her to keep her cat in.

She said again that she had been doing this for 5 years and she didn't want to be told what to do. At one point, she said to just take the cat away.

You know what? I DON'T get the 'facts' of the case. You have a cat. You want to keep it - keep it in. You don't want it/can't keep it - and you let it out whereby it urinates outside someone's house. That is GOING to annoy them. And you're putting YOUR cat in danger.

Plus it's also going to put all the caregivers in the area in a spot. She had signed up to be a caregiver. If her behaviour is seen as representing the other caregivers, then the TC and residents will lose all confidence in the TNRM group. A bad feeder can do a lot of damage to a programme - in which case it can be necessary to remove them from the group.

Poor Rebecca's been getting an earful from me about this - but it really, really frustrates me when people wilfully put their cats in danger.

Update on this - I just spoke with the feeder again and she has agreed to keep the cat in. YAY.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Obviously the lady not getting it, she is giving the cat people a bad name. The poor cat will be caught for being a nuisance and the lady doesn't know TC can get HDB to evict her own indoor cats. She needs to calm down and listen to Dawn's advice.

3/11/06 6:58 PM  
Blogger calsifer said...

Hooray for the update! =)

Good work, Dawn!

3/11/06 8:36 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

*Cross fingers*

4/11/06 1:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home