Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Mediators needed

I spoke to someone this morning, as I mentioned earlier, who said that he had a run in with the TC officer and pest control officers as he suspected them of trying to catch some sterilised cats. There was some problem and the police were called in. I told the man that he should remain polite and calm at all times, and that if the officer was rude then a complaint should be lodged, but that he should not retaliate in any way. I told him that for example touching an officer, or anyone for that matter, could be considered battery. He asked what would happen if the officer touched him - and I said they would be guilty of the same. However for the sake of long term working relations, it's best to try not to provoke anyone either.

The main problem was that he said he might not be able to help with Mediations due to time constraints. He mentioned most of the cats are sterilised, but he might not have the time to help mediate. However I told him that if he called the TC, they are going to want to know what happens when there is a complaint and will ask what he wants them to do. The fact that the cats are sterilised in itself will not save them - the complaints must be dealt with too.

It's really starting to worry me that there are not enough mediators around. After corresponding with Calsifer and talking to Rebecca about it, it is really beginning to drive home the fact that we need independent mediators - ie people who aren't sterilising, but who will just mediate. It would be best if they live within the estate. I did blog about it in an earlier entry but I think the need is getting quite urgent.

The problem is that some caregivers are not willing to mediate - which means the cats are at risk when complaints come in. The other problem is that some caregivers CANNOT mediate though they are willing to - they will get so upset that the complainant will get upset too and the situation will quickly become explosive.

So we need to look for this whole different pool of people who are not managing colonies but feel enough for the cats to help with mediation. I'd be happy to share what I know and hold a Mediation workshop but we do need people who are willing to do the Mediations.

6 Comments:

Blogger Mary said...

Hi Dawn, which location?

8/11/06 5:38 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

If you could help in YOUR location that would be great - so that we have some people in each area and you don't have to travel too far. And you've helped out so many times already Mary! Thank you. You have been a real help.

8/11/06 5:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let me know if I can help. I don't mind mediating. Only constraint I have is that I travel quite frequently and might not be able to go down at a moment's notice.

Marilyn

8/11/06 5:44 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Thank you Marilyn! Please do drop me an email so I can ask where you are, etc.

8/11/06 5:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's your email dawn?

8/11/06 5:47 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

It's under the Email section - dawn@catwelfare.org.

8/11/06 5:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home