Thursday, January 11, 2007

Giving advise

I just spoke with a woman who called up because she said she was feeding community cats and dogs. She wanted to know how to become a volunteer and how to help some dogs in an area she is feeding at. I told her that while I was happy to help, I wasn't sure how best to advise her. I said for example, I had no idea how to trap dogs in the proper way for sterilisation, nor could I call the people whose property the dogs were on and explain the precise details. I suggested she call Action for Singapore Dogs. She said that we should try and help all animals, and I explained that while I agreed with that, I wasn't the best person to advise on this. She agreed.

It turns out she had already spoken with ASD in the past and they had told her to call if she had any problems. I suggested she call them again.

While any of the societies are happy to help any animal, sometimes we don't have the expertise to advise on every kind of animal. The nice thing about having different societies is that they may be more experienced in the kind of animals they are looking after. We do refer cases to each other for example and I think that is most helpful. We don't want to inadvertently give the wrong advise.

It's the same reason I'm very careful when people ask for veterinary advise. While some of the cases may seem familiar and we want to help, we're not vets. Giving the wrong advise could be deadly in these cases.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

if she would like to speak to an umbrella animal welfare body, perhaps the SPCA wld be the right one?

11/1/07 5:42 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Yes that is definitely an option to, but she had spoken with ASD before as well - actually she seemed to want to speak with ME for some reason :) Apparently a friend of hers recommended me.

11/1/07 5:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

for a good reason.. ASD seems to have rather limited resources..they dont have full time employees nor do they do mediations and stuff like that as far as I can tell..if all the dog welfare groups would pool resources they might be better able to help the stray dogs but i doubt that will happen

11/1/07 9:44 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Anonymous I am sure ASD will render what assistance they can, but you're right almost all the groups are hampered by limited resources. Which other groups work solely with dogs?

11/1/07 9:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

theres k9love, dogpeople.org, animalloversleague(includes cats as well) and there are a few clubs devoted to local dogs etc but im not sure if they do any rehoming

12/1/07 3:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think sosanimals.com also looks after stray dogs but ive had trouble contacting them

12/1/07 3:07 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Actually she just wants someone to speak to the people who own the area to allow her to feed the dogs and get them sterilised.

12/1/07 6:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home