Friday, January 12, 2007

It doesn't cost extra to trap them

I just spoke with an office manager from a school. A volunteer happened to speak to a feeder in the area and it turned out the school was trapping cats. She requested I try and speak with them.

I spoke to the office manager whose first question was whether we were a non-government organisation and whether the service we provided was free. I asked if they were using pest control right now, and he said they were and I pointed out that hiring pest control costs money too. The man said that since the pest control was hired on a contract basis, that didn't cost money. I was trying to point out that it was factored in but it didn't seem to sink in.

He claimed that these were not community cats but 'pets' because a lot of people were feeding the cats outside the school grounds, but the cats ran in to sleep at night.

The office manager asked if we did not approve of the killing of the cats. I pointed out that it was ineffective as well as inhumane. He told me that I did not need to worry, the cats weren't killed - they were just thrown somewhere, far, far away, in his words.

I told him that this wasn't a solution. I said it was just transferring the problem to somewhere else. He told me he thinks the cats are thrown in reservoirs. I told him again this still wasn't solving the problem, so he's agreed to try the crushed mothballs to stop the defecation.

I also looked up the school on the map and realised that this is an area that seems to be having a lot of problems - a lot of people are feeding, but hardly anyone sterilises there. The office manager also mentioned a lot of people come to feed the cats early in the morning.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

School office manager has very interesting information on cat issues.

12/1/07 11:20 AM  
Anonymous belle said...

He told me that I did not need to worry, the cats weren't killed - they were just thrown somewhere, far, far away ...

He told me he thinks the cats are thrown in reservoirs ...

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Dawn, sometimes when i read comments from ppl like that, i don't know whether to laugh or cry ...

thrown in reservoir - terrapins maybe, but cats ?!

this manager must have left his brains at home when he went to work that morning ... next time when u visit these ppl, u must buy them breakfast (strong kopi-o) to wake up their sluggish brains ... :-p

anyways, i think AVA shd stop giving out cat-traps ... that is an outdated way of handling stray animals ...

12/1/07 11:22 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Belle - you and me both :) Or even just charge people for every cat trapped.

12/1/07 11:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Useless office manager, only Dawn has the tolerance and EQ to work with him. This type of character treats cats like gabage. He makes the school a lousy place to promote empathy and kindness.

12/1/07 1:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dawn,
The om is ex-SAF man. He is quite rigid(regimental) in his ways but I hope logic works for him. I will print out some literature from CWS 'useful resources'. Kim is aslo upset with feeders who don't clean up. She ,with my help sterilise all 'her' cats. You can check our monthly report.

Thanks for handling this case.
Angela

12/1/07 2:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If they are 'pets' as he so believes, all the more should let them go instead of taking other ppl cats and throw somewhere else. Granted tt the ppl should be careful and not let their cats wander, but accidental straying do happen. If a shirt from upstairs should drop on my pole, I can't just throw it away but wait for the neighbour to come n claim. Or a lost child for that matter.

12/1/07 2:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I talked to my school principal already. He was very interested in the other solutions. The office staff were quite upset about the cat defecation.


nyo (now 'tyo'. Ten years old.)

12/1/07 2:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i hear this kind of broken logic so many times that i wonder if it is solely a national phenomenon or whether it occurs in other countries as well

12/1/07 2:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

can say where this place is? or is that classified

12/1/07 3:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ex army chap. No wonder. So schools are where some of these "retired" army officers go :)
Where the Principals cannot say no.

12/1/07 5:23 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

I'd rather not say the school's name in case they do go on the programme - people might dump cats there. the good news is that he did write to say he would try what we suggested about the mothballs.

12/1/07 6:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home