Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Migrating because of the cats

I just heard an interesting story from someone who just rang up. There had been a complaint about her mother's flat as they had some community cats and some adopted cats. They lived on the second floor and allowed the community cats to come up and walk in and out of their apartment. I went by to advise them not to do it any longer. The TC had informed the HDB and they were issued a letter telling them to get rid of the cats.

The woman called me this morning and said that her brother who lives with the mother said this was the last straw and decided that because of this, they will emigrate. He is going to quit his job and with his wife and mother they will be moving.

His sister who called me said that the first thing they want to secure is how to bring the cats with them, so she called up to check about the requirements. I advised her to check with the Embassy of the country they are moving to.

This isn't the first case of people migrating because of their cats - or of not wanting to come back to Singapore. I know of a young lady who moved to Australia because of the same reason. Another young man wrote to say that he studied in the US and wanted to come back with his cat but wanted to check the HDB rules. When he heard cats are not allowed, he said he decided to stay put.

Some people will think it's extreme - but I think it has to do with family. You want to be in a place where you and your family are safe and secure - and for a lot of people, that includes their non-human family. If you have the opportunity and the money, some people will take that option to move to somewhere which they feel may have a better environment for themselves and their family.

15 Comments:

Anonymous autumnpiglet said...

I say kudos to them!

If they are going to the US, it's really not a problem. They just need to ensure that their cats are vaccinated and have the necessary health certificates. But they have to know that there is a restriction to the number of pets they can bring in as there will be concern that the cats are brought in for sale (although in this case it's not). Also airlines have restrictions on the number of animals they allow on board. They will also need to check that with the airline they are taking.

Just in case some other person is also transporting their pets.

23/1/07 9:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tell him to give the authorities a piece of his mind before he emigrate!

23/1/07 10:02 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Yes Autumnpiglet the US is fairly easy but they're not going there. It's always best though to check the latest updates from the Embassy because regulations do change as well.

23/1/07 10:10 AM  
Blogger auntie p said...

I don't find it extreme at all. I think these folks are just tired of this country's "regime" where success is measured only in terms of economic dollars and cents.

If after decades of education and progress, nothing much has changed in terms of the spiritual and mental health of this society, some folks will just give up and move on to a better place, if they have a choice and the means to do it.

23/1/07 10:45 AM  
Anonymous ck said...

One pet shop that I know of, Paws Wow in Balestier, can handle all the paper work and facilitate boarding and quarantine of the cats. As far as I know, most countries like the US and Australia do not require cats migrating from Singapore to their country to be quarantined.

BTW, I am in no way affiliated or associated with Paws Wow; just one of their satisfied customer. In any case, I think most reputable pet shops can provide the same service of facilitating the migration process for pets.

23/1/07 11:14 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Thanks ck. It is definitely more convenient to have someone do the paperwork for you, but on the other hand, if you have the time, it's cheaper to do it on your own. I'll let the lady know if she does call. She indicated she is trying to save some money at the money and will try and do it on her own.

23/1/07 11:17 AM  
Blogger Salt * Wet * Fish said...

Yeah, this is the same reasons why some gay people (who could be single, or had a gay-marriage or adopted kids from marriage) would not want to come back to Singapore or decided to leave Singapore, because it telling them that they are not welcomed, just like the cats.

But I can definitely say that some hardcore complainers will be happy not to see these migraters again. Score 10 for comformity, score 0 for diversity!

23/1/07 11:40 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

That's true Salt Wet Fish, the neighbour who complained about this family will probably be quite glad they're gone.

23/1/07 11:59 AM  
Blogger eslina said...

If things do get out of hand with the issue of owning cats in your own home, I think my family (including my non-human family member) would rather migrate too and not stay in a stupid society that has no heart nor reasonable mind to find a win-win solution for all animal and non-animal lovers alike.

23/1/07 12:11 PM  
Blogger Profpig ^@^ said...

Can I ask what will happen if they do not remove the cats but keep them inside? Will the TC still pester them? Evict them?

I would love to go to somewhere where people will respect my cats but I don't think I can afford to :P

23/1/07 2:00 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Profpig - the TC basically manages any area outside the flat. The HDB manages areas inside. It's not the TCs that evict the cats - it is the HDB that has the power to do so (though to my knowledge, has not done so yet - probably because most people have sent their cats away by then).

In fact, often the TC asks us to tell the residents to keep the cats in quietly.

23/1/07 2:12 PM  
Blogger vegancat said...

I think these cat owners have probably contemplated to emigrate and this was the final kick that was need for the final decision.

23/1/07 6:39 PM  
Anonymous autumnpiglet said...

I agree with you Vegancat.

Migrating to another country is not that simple. The process takes a few years. I know as I am in the process of getting my PR in Canada. It's already been 2 yrs. Reason I'm moving? I want a bigger space so that I can have more animals. Singapore's laws on keeping pets is too restrictive. Of course, it's also because I love Canada.

So if this family is only just starting their emigration process, they'll still have to figure out how to handle the situation with HDB because moving overseas is not going to happen overnight.

24/1/07 8:37 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Couldn't seem to post earlier as there was a blogger error. I think if they let HDB know of their plans, they will probably get a grace period to settle in.

24/1/07 12:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's fun to have strays stay in my house, once they're in, it's for life. I ignore dumb rules, I know what is good for my life, who is to tell me my pet stinks when they have have bad body odour.

25/1/07 1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home