Friday, March 30, 2007

Be careful with cat traps

I was speaking with someone this morning and she told me that her management condominium had been using a cat trap. She said she suspected it might be one of our old traps because the condominium cleaners had told her that the residents had moved out and tossed the trap in the garbage. Presumably they had used it for sterilisation before. The cleaners than picked the trap up and have been using it to trap cats. She isn't sure however as the facts seemed rather vague.

We have lost a substantial number of traps when we first started loaning them out because we did it for free. We wanted to make it as easy for people trapping for sterilisation as possible. People would borrow the traps and not return them however.

It's not too bad when people leave them lying about the house. It's better of course if people are actively using them or intending to use them, but we do hope people will be careful what they do with the traps. For example, people loaning the traps out to other people should be careful that the people they loan it to, use it only for sterilisation. If it's passed from person to person, it might end up being used for a completely different purpose than what it was originally meant for.

With the refundable deposit system we find people are more responsible for the traps.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A friend told me that he spoke to CWS wanting to loan or purchase a cat trap so that cat can be sent for sterilization. Unfortunately CWS doesn't seems interested at all. Whatever system CWS may adpot, in the end it is the caregiver spending their own money for a good course and CWS should be more prudent in handling request like this. Don't talk so much about letters between TC, AVA or Ministers. Get the home tidy up first.

15/4/07 8:49 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Hi Anonymous - do let me know which friend this is because we have and do loan out cat traps on a very regular basis. As I mentioned we do want to be careful in case people loan them out for other reasons. Someone I know said he wanted it for sterilisation at first, then said that he wanted to loan it to someone else and THAT person wanted to trap cats. The person then contacted me again just before I left Singapore and I mentioned I was out of town and asked the person if he could wait.

16/4/07 1:13 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Anonymous - please do ask your friend to contact me as there is only one person I can think of who may fit your description (and as I mentioned I told this person I was out of town as he wrote in just before I left).

As I said,we're more than happy to loan out cat traps (we've loaned out and sold more than 50 in the last year or so), but we do want to make sure they're used for the right reasons and for people who really will use them for sterilisation and not trapping to kill.

16/4/07 1:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home