Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Car Problem again

Another complainant this afternoon who is supremely worried about his car. What is it about cars that bring out this huge streak of incredibly strange pride in people that they seem to lose all common sense?

I offered him a car cover, which he refused. Why? Because it is too troublesome, and because his car is in his words, only a sedan, not a Ferrari. If it was the latter, he would use it. I think he's worried people may think he's putting on airs.

So I explained the vacuum effect to him, which he denied was true.

I told him that the cats if removed would be killed, which of course he said he didn't want, but he did want them gone. He kept asking why people couldn't take them home. I said, besides the futility of it due to the vacuum effect, the HDB doesn't allow it - which again of course he refused to believe.

He wanted to know whom would pay him for the damages. I pointed out that by parking a car in a public carpark, he could not expect to be reimbursed if something happened to it. I said for example, what if a tree fell on it, or someone scratched his car as had happened to me once?

He said that if he could claim if a tree fell on his car (he must have very generous insurance) and if someone scratched my car it was just my 'bad luck'.

I told him that we could come to an agreement then - if these two cats were removed, then since according to him, no new cats would come in, we wouldn't have a problem. However if say new cats DID move in, could I have his word that he wouldn't complain? He said he did not want to talk about the future - only the present.

He said he had a right to complain - he asked how I would feel if someone came into my house and damaged my property? I pointed out his analogy was flawed (which he didn't agree with) - my house is private property, a public carpark is not. I said a better analogy is if someone scratches my car in a public carpark. Where was my redress in that case?

He said that if I wanted to prosecute someone for scratching my car I needed evidence. I told him he was exactly right - where was his evidence? Had he seen the cat scratch his car? He said I was being ridiculous. He said that today he had seen paw prints and fur and this was also 'damage'. He wants someone to offer to pay him for repainting his car. He agreed to let the caregivers there go down and take a look at his car.

Labels: , ,

20 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a sickening boring person this complainant is. what a time waster! a big man calling up an animal welfare to complain about some scratches and fur on his sedan car?! aiyoh, sissy lah, gross. yawn yawn yawn. and not even driving a ferrari? yawn yawn. tell him don't bore us with his sedan lah. and you! you this sissy fxrt! i despise you. ZzzzzzzZzzzzzz

13/3/07 9:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yet ANOTHER a**hole and his precious car... Sigh

13/3/07 9:12 PM  
Blogger iWooiBlog said...

Aiyo, ask him go sue the cat lor... :-)

14/3/07 1:34 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Don't put ideas in his head ;)

14/3/07 1:46 AM  
Blogger Elaine said...

Dawn dear, I wanna applaud you for your tremendous patience rolled together with wisdom and kindness. You'll make a wonderful counsellor, advisor, and anywhere that needs conflict mgmt, u're the perfect person. My role model! :)

14/3/07 2:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i will say what i always say, it is the price of the cars in s'pore that makes them so precious. and of course the fact that for many, a car is a luxury, not a necessity. i was in a bus once when the ships were in town and the bus was full of american sailors and i remember one of them remarking to another (sounding q surprised)that all the cars here seemed to be in such good condition. i think we have all seen on tv how beat up some of the vehicles in the States can be. over there, a vehicle is a necessity and meant to be used and many of them ARE used very hard. in those places, i don't think anyone wld bat an eyelid if a cat scratched their car. so its all perpective really.

i find that s'poreans have even more ridiculous expectations wrt homes, but that is another story... :)

14/3/07 10:19 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

14/3/07 11:21 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Anonymous you're right. I do wonder though, why does it seem that the owners I deal with (and this is the fourth or fifth owner) seem to not want to use a car cover because they don't think their car is expensive enough to warrant covering in case their neighbours think badly of them? At the same time, they denigrate their cars (its an old car, its not a Porsche, its not a Ferrari, its only a sedan) and yet they seem to be so incredibly upset when the cat sits on their 'only a sedan'.

So it's not important enough to cover (and in fact seem slightly embarrassed by their car) but important enough to ask for a cat to be killed for?

14/3/07 11:23 AM  
Anonymous ck said...

This guy is such an asshole and a hypocrite. Ultimately what he is looking for is some sucker to foot for the bill for the repair of the damages to his car. BTW Dawn, what sort of damages did the cats incur to his "precious" car? Personally I don't see how getting the caregivers to go down to take a look at his car would do any good. He already refuses to listen to logic and common sense and by having the caregivers talk to him would indirectly imply that there is a possibility that the cats are the culprits.

Sorry Dawn, I guess I just don't have your patience and fortitude. If I were in your shoes I would've flipped him the finger a long time ago.

14/3/07 11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

maybe among car owners in s'pore it is a very yah-yah thg to cover one's car? LOL.

so when ppl see a car covered up (esp in a hdb public car park), they will say, wah, what kind of car man, need to cover? ferrari ah? porsche ah?

14/3/07 11:40 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Actually ck - in the cases where the car owners DO agree to meet with us (which is very very rare), we've been able to look at the scratches and so far, they have NOT been made by cats. So let's take a look and see if they really are 'cat scratches'. What I think often happens is that people see a cat on their car and THEN start looking for scratches. The scratches may have been there all along.

14/3/07 11:47 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

14/3/07 11:47 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

14/3/07 11:48 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Does that explain why the Ferraris, Mercs and BMWs aren't scratched? Because they're covered? :)

14/3/07 11:50 AM  
Blogger Mezzo said...

I think I figured it out. Dawn, he was clearly trying to hint that YOU should buy him a ferrari. That way, he wouldn't be ashamed to use the car cover.

14/3/07 12:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you use a towel & pail of water to wash your car in hdb carpark, inevitably sand (from the wheels)gets into the pail. During the drying process, sand in the towel is rubbed against the paintwork resulting in fine scratches.
There will be scratches whether the cat sits on the sedan.

14/3/07 1:01 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

*SMACK* You're right Mezzo - silly me. Let me get right on that!

Anonymous - exactly. And I have also seen strange scratches (6 parallel lines) that were attributed to the cat. That complainant agreed when we showed him that the cat could not have done that.

14/3/07 2:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, because I'm sure keratin is harder than steel.

14/3/07 3:10 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Exactly right Anonymous.

14/3/07 3:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If TC responded to this guy by removal the cats, I certainly would want TC to compensate me for the multiple vandalised scratches (definitely not caused by cats as it is only horizontal line from front to back! And the multiple dents caused by car owners who open their door with brute force!

15/3/07 4:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home