Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Feeding by several people

I just spoke with a woman who was very upset with the SPCA. She claimed that they came down to help with an emergency this morning and that it was a kitten with an eye infection. After trying for a while to trap the cat, she said that the employee said that they had to go because they had another emergency to attend to. They said they would try and come back this afternoon to help. She got very upset and said that they were not attending to her request.

First of all, I pointed out I'm not the SPCA. I said I do know that they do get a lot of requests for help and in emergencies. I pointed out that it is best to speak with them directly. I also said that there may well have been other emergencies. She said it was highly strange there should be other emergencies at the same time, though I told her that I did think it was quite possible there were.

She then said that she was upset - that she was very broke but she mentioned we had reimbursed one of her rescue claims. I asked why she had not called for help then knowing that. I said perhaps instead of calling the SPCA every time she sees a sick cat (the last time were some kittens with loose stools), she might let us know and let us see if we can help with the costs so the cat goes to the vet.

She mentioned she was very poor and she could give me her jewellery as collateral if I needed it. I told her it wasn't necessary. It turns out that she feeds (and she says she sterilises) a number of cats. She told me that several of these cats are also being fed by other people. She said one colony for example is fed several times a DAY by another man.

I suggested that perhaps she can then cut down on feeding these colonies. She agreed they didn't need to eat so much. She also agreed that they weren't hungry and were amply fed - but she said they were used to her. I suggested perhaps she might feed them every few days as a treat, rather than go down and feed every single day. Or she could just go down and spend time with them without feeding them.

I told her perhaps if she saved the money on the food, it could also then be channelled to medical bills.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's some cats' lives like - being fed continuously all day long?

13/3/07 2:33 PM  
Anonymous veganmeow said...

Take turns with the other feeder!
By feeding on alternate days she can save half of the cost and time (and so can the other feeder). Just keep each other informed in case any of the cats goes missing or is sick...

13/3/07 3:08 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Yes Veganmeow - that's what I suggested to her too. She said that the other person only feeds dry food whereas she feeds fish and canned food. I suggested maybe she can limit it to special treats.

13/3/07 3:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

in such a situation, i suspect many of the feeders are likely to be ad hoc feeders. they may not feed regularly because they don't have the time or resources or simply because they know there is a committed feeder already and so do it just to give the kitties an extra treat when they feel like it.

but out of the many feeders, perhaps the caregiver can find one or two to rotate feeding schedule with her, like what veganmeow suggests. that wld ease her financial burden.

13/3/07 3:39 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Apparently in this case, the other feeder is very regular - and so is she. She's just not entirely happy he's only feeding dry food and wants to give them fish and wet food too.

13/3/07 3:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home