Monday, March 19, 2007

Kitten on string update


Kitten on string update
Originally uploaded by dawnkua.

I went down again this afternoon to see about the kitten that was kept on the string. The collar was nowhere in sight. I asked the man looking after the cat about the collar. He said that the collar was too loose (unfortunately he did notice) and that he would not use it till the kitten was a little older.

He kept insisting that this was a very special cat - that the cat slept next to him and that it was so cute people stopped to look at it all the time.He said that after we had come by on Saturday night, several more people had stopped in to speak with him, including someone whom he claimed knew me.

I asked if he will use the collar - and he said he will, but not till the kitten is older. There was ample food and water. I also gave him a sterilisation brochure and he seemed less hostile to the idea today. He said that he will think about it again when the time is nearer. He had seemed quite against the idea when I first broached it on Saturday.

So what to do now? Call the AVA? They can advise him but even if they take the kitten away, there's nothing to stop him from taking another (in fact the reason I stopped by was that earlier in the week, I had dropped a brochure by another man in the shop that helps him out to remind him to sterilise as I seemed to see a different cat with him each time - the kitten was not on a string at the time). They might charge him possibly for neglect or cruelty though technically he does give the cat space to walk about so it might not even be that. In addition, he told us on Saturday that he has no fixed address so people can't even find him if they DID want to charge him for anything.

What else to do? Monitor the situation? Hope the kitten doesn't get strangled? Keep talking to him in the hope that he will come around gradually? He does guard the kitten quite carefully and watches it. In fact when I arrived today, he was again intently watching it.

Some times there really aren't good solutions - just less bad ones.

Labels:

11 Comments:

Anonymous ej said...

I thought he tied the kitten only when he need to go to the toilet.So kitten tied 24/7?
what happen when it rains heavily?
No doubt there are food and water, but poor kitty loses freedom and may not be able to compete in the cat community if stolen and released.
Is this man using cats like this kitten as an excuse to justify his presence in that area?
Also there are intention to mate some cats?
Very strange case.

19/3/07 6:33 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

ej - he SAYS he needs to keep the kitten tied when he goes to the toilet so people won't steal it. When I asked why it couldn't be released,he said I couldn't guarantee it wouldn't be taken - I pointed out a nylon string is no precaution against would-be cat thieves either.

On one hand, he told us that he had 'lots' of cats all over the place. Then in the next breath, he asked us to give him some cats. I really don't know what he is up to.

19/3/07 6:39 PM  
Anonymous ck said...

He may be an eccentric and not realize the cruelty he is imposing on the kitten but I'm an optimist and prefer the see the kindness in this man. He may be homeless and is probably struggling just to feed himself but he has shown kindness and compassion to take in another living being. This is so unlike the 'infamous' Mr Heng and Mr "I don't want a car cover because it's only a sedan."

Of course I could be wrong and this man might turn out to be a psychopath who enjoys torturing defenseless animals!

19/3/07 6:48 PM  
Anonymous ej said...

Another case of low IQ personality?

I think those cats which he claimed he had previously were not stolen but rescued by well-meaning public.
Is he trying to boost his ego by daring and challenging the 'thieves' by tying a kitty up as bait? from the way he is guarding the kitty like a hawk.

19/3/07 6:51 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

ck I agree - I don't think he sees it as being cruel at all. He does seem to love the cat. He even had a cat toy!

ej - that's exactly what I told him but he disagreed. To be fair, this is the first time I have seen him tying up a kitten and I was just there early last week.

19/3/07 7:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi dawn, i was at that exact place on sat afternoon to do some banking stuff. the little kittie attracted me bec she was full of energy, running & hiding despite being 'tied' up.
think the elderly man meant no harm. he was eating when i was there & he was willing to share his food with the kittie. i stood there for a while to play with her without any protest from the elderly man.
so i reckon you'll probably have to speak to him 'differently' & understand why he is tying the kittie. btw, i'd checked & it wasnt too tight for the kittie round the neck.

regards,
sharon

19/3/07 11:36 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Sharon - I do think it's okay for now - but not an ideal situation. As you said, the kitten bounces around and could get hurt.

I really do think he's scared the kitten will run away or get 'stolen'.

20/3/07 5:28 AM  
Anonymous isabel said...

where's this place may i pls noe? i wld love to go take a look too. see how's the poor kitty!

20/3/07 6:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this guy sounds like he just wants a pet and is worried the kitten may run away. if he feeds the kitten regularly, the kitten will seek him out when it is hungry. it may run off to play but will return when it wants food.

so this guy lives on the street? i ask becos many of the so-called vagrants here actually do have a home. they just choose not to go bk for whatever reason.

20/3/07 10:59 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

I think he's worried it will get 'stolen' - he says it's happened several times before.

I have no idea where he lives or if he has a home. He alluded to living all over the place, and some of his statements don't make much sense as well.

20/3/07 11:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He seems very protective over the kitten. I would be too if for some reason I had to live on the street and have no place to house my little ones safely.

20/3/07 6:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home