Thursday, March 22, 2007

Loaning out cat traps

I had an email from one of the caregivers saying that a feeder had asked her to pass a message from one of the vet clincs the feeder used. Someone from a vet clinic (one that we don't work with) wanted to borrow a cat trap.

I called and spoke with the person, and asked him if he was doing sterilisation. He told me where he was trapping the cats and I told him that I would speak with him more when I saw him in person. I was supposed to drop in on Monday but neither of us could make it.

The person SMSed me this morning and said that the client needed a cat trap by this weekend. I tried to call but was unable to get him. I SMSed back and said that we don't pass traps around like that and that we want to meet with the person borrowing the trap to ensure that they're using it for sterilisation and not killing. We also make them sign a form to promise this.

He SMSed back to say that it was okay, the client had called AVA and they were loaning her a trap but that AVA would have to remove the cats. I texted back to say that they did not have to do this - and that if they wanted to, the cats could be still taken for sterilisation.

He just texted me back to say that the client was not a 'cat lover' and that she just wanted them out of her rubbish cans!

I just texted back to say that (1) we do NOT loan traps out to people to trap and kill cats, (2) there are alternatives such as the Scarecrow and the Cat Stop and (3) I hoped the client realised that the cats would be killed.

I just managed to get him on the phone. He said that he hoped by loaning her HIS cat trap, that she might then hand the cats over to him. He said that she wasn't willing to actually give the cats to him but that he was trying to persuade her to let him have the cats after she caught them. Her only complaint seemed to be that the cats got into her rubbish bin.

I told him I didn't think this was a good alternative and that new cats would move in even if he did remove them. He said he wasn't sure about that. I asked what he planned to do with the cats and he said he was thinking of sterilising them and sending them to the SPCA. He was surprised when I said the SPCA has no space to take in cats and would properly have no choice but to put them down. I also told him that new cats would move in and he'd be constantly removing the cats without her being any happier with the situation.

I suggested he ask her to give me a call as there were many ways to keep the cats out of the rubbish bins - one way of course is to get a rubbish bin that secures properly so the cats cannot get into it.

Labels:

18 Comments:

Blogger VeganCatsg said...

Isn't AVA working with CWS to offer alternative to traps?

22/3/07 12:21 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

22/3/07 12:28 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

They're still considering it.

The caregiver wrote to me to say she met with this man today and he seemed nice - but possibly was very inexperienced. She did mention he was the manager though.

22/3/07 1:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i hope he can persuade her to try alternative methods.

from what i know, garbage bins in landed property estates are now the large, sturdy sort with a heavy fitted lid, not the ad hoc metal or plastic pails that were used in the past. am surprised the cats still manage to get in her garbage bin.

poor kitties tho, sent to their deaths just for scrounging for food. :(

22/3/07 2:45 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Anonymous yes me too - or I am sure that sturdier bills could be bought if the bins are the real issue.

22/3/07 2:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think if this man, the manager, reads your post he'll probably not get himself involve anymore with cat issue and any of your caregivers.

May I ask what is his profession?

23/3/07 12:12 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

23/3/07 12:23 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

23/3/07 12:25 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

He's the manager of the vet clinic which is why I find it surprising that he seems unaware of these issues.

I don't think he IS involved in cat issues. Come to think of it, none of the caregivers I know actually use this clinic.

23/3/07 12:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, Dawn, I got sms from said manager to tell me the clinic is not going to give me sub rates after all. All he promised me yesterday, retracted. I still think he wants to help but vet himself relunctant. The vet is a rather nasty person. I once rang him and he was not interested to handle strays.
AC-B8

23/3/07 9:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For benefit of readers, I was promised $40/$20 but procedure to be done by trainee vet. Best care will be given etc.
Ac-B8

23/3/07 9:21 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Sorry to hear that AC.

23/3/07 9:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Which clinic turns down strays and for what reasons? Keep the gabage bin and remove the woman instead. Her gabage bin more precious than kindness. Shame on her.

23/3/07 2:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The AVA culling teams ( those that go around earnestly catching and collecting trapped cats ) are not cooperative. Only the public Educational dept. are pro-active and doing a decent job.

23/3/07 2:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I worked in a vet clinic and imagine I have to take the stray to another clinic to sterilise the cats I trapped. I understand the clinic is running a business so I don't complaint. If I chose to be a caregiver, then I will just pay for the surgery.

31/3/07 8:55 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Actually most vet clinics I have to say have been wonderfully supportive. Without their help, it would have been very difficult.

31/3/07 10:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quote and unquote from previous posting:
Anonymous said...
...Keep the gabage bin and remove the woman instead. Her gabage bin more precious than kindness. Shame on her.

Not everyone shares your vision. So there's nothing to be shame about. Hence its better to be more polite when replying post.

31/3/07 11:17 PM  
Blogger Anthony said...

New to your blogg and post but definitely one who loves animals.

Happened to chance on your blogg and posts and thot I should also throw in my 2 cents worth of comments.

I find that some folks here are just too quick to strike out at "anonymous". I suggest they channel their energy towards recruiting new volunteers or caregivers.

31/3/07 11:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home