Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Water bowl


Water bowl
Originally uploaded by dawnkua.

I went by to this block of flats I've been to earlier and saw this water bowl and some cats hiding behind a bicycle. I spoke to the rather sullen young man in the flat. I asked if the cats were theirs or if they were feeding the cats. He denied it. I told him that we were concerned as there had been complaints and we were concerned the cats would be rounded up. He then came to the door.

He claimed the cats come up even though they do not want them to. I asked him to please stop feeding upstairs if that was what they were doing or to ask any neighbours he might know to do the same. I said that while it was not illegal to feed, feeding upstairs draws the cats upstairs as well.

I also told him to please sterilise the cats under his care. I explained that we can help with subsidised sterilisation slots if he needs them. I gave him some information and asked for his email address which he gave. I'll give him some time to digest what I've given him.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the government has to recognise that a lot of the problems with cats is due to people who keep cats but do not know the responsibilities of sterilising them, keeping them indoors, etc.
Recognition will then lead to effective prevention, working through the TCs, HDB, the RCs, religious places like the mosques, etc to educate and then to coerce such people to be responsible!
It is very frustrating for caregives who spend so much time and money to sterilise the cats in an estate to find new kittens and cats continuing dumped from such people who cannot see their actions as causing harm! And TC will go after such caregivers, claiming that TnRM is not working! We really have to address this serious problem and that caregivers CANNOT resolve this without help from the government!

7/3/07 10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the government has to recognise that a lot of the problems with cats is due to people who keep cats but do not know the responsibilities of sterilising them, keeping them indoors, etc.
Recognition will then lead to effective prevention, working through the TCs, HDB, the RCs, religious places like the mosques, etc to educate and then to coerce such people to be responsible!
It is very frustrating for caregives who spend so much time and money to sterilise the cats in an estate to find new kittens and cats continuing dumped from such people who cannot see their actions as causing harm! And TC will go after such caregivers, claiming that TnRM is not working! We really have to address this serious problem and that caregivers CANNOT resolve this without help from the government!

7/3/07 10:53 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

I agree. Right now, it's a piecemeal effort done by different organisations - but no one is working in tandem.

7/3/07 11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home