Thursday, May 24, 2007

Lost and timid cats

Someone wrote to say that her cat had gone missing today. Her neighbour told her that he had seen the cat enter the house early this morning but that he hadn't seen her since. He invited her to look around. She went in and searched the house but could not find the cat.

She came home and emailed me again as she was very worried. She was concerned and worried that the neighbour might have abused the cat.

I asked her if her cat was very timid and the type that would generally shy away from people. She confirmed that she is though the cat will meow when her owner is nearby - I told her that from what I learnt at the CHAMP conference a few years ago that timid cats may keep quiet even if they hear people familiar to them. This is because they're so shy and frightened that they're just interested in hiding (you can find out more from the Lost a Pet website also on my link menu bar).

What I also learnt is that most lost cats don't wander far if they are timid - in fact some cats were found dead close to the house. One cat apparently stayed in the roof of a vet clinic for more than three weeks without a sound. She was caught eventually in a cat trap placed up the roof.

After getting my email, the woman went back and looked again - and she found her cat hiding under a bed! I'm so glad they were reunited.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger auntie p said...

Hi Dawn, have you seen the kitten on a leash lately? By chance, I saw him this evening. He was chained with the chain going around his body between the front and hind legs, so that he has to sit/lie on the chain whenever he rests. There was no collar or rabbit harness, and I thought the kitten looked a bit down/tired, with a hint of his 3rd eyelids showing (or this could be natural for him?). He was very sweet and let me stroked him (the old man wasn't around). I realised I had met the old man briefly previously as he used to have a friendly black adult cat which is said to have gone missing, and hence, he now leashes the kitten.

I know the old man loves the kitten a lot and we should probably leave him alone, but seeing the kitten, I can't help but feel a bit sad, and hope the kitten can regain his freedom soon.

24/5/07 10:54 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Thanks Auntie P - I was hoping to go tomorrow - now I think I really need to.

25/5/07 12:02 AM  
Anonymous free kitten said...

if the cat is all tied up or chained up, he can't escape during an attack by human abusers or some dogs. 3rd eyelids usually due to dehydration.

25/5/07 2:53 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Yes free kitten we're aware of that - but there usually is a man there who takes care of the cat. A third eyelid doesn't always mean dehydration - usually it's just a sign the cat is unwell. On occasion, if you catch a cat sleeping as well, they may have a third eyelid when they first wake up.

25/5/07 9:01 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

Am so happy the woman found her cat. i remembered once i was just like her, running around the neighbourhood looking for my 1st feline whom disappered suddenly only to find her hiding under the washing machine.

Regarding the kitten - Does this man loves the kitten or is he just possessive of her? Poor baby!

25/5/07 10:01 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Mary - I do think he loves the kitten. As Auntie P mentioned, he used to have a black cat but he thinks he was stolen and since then he's very worried it'll get stolen again.

I do agree this isn't an ideal situation to put the kitten in by any measure, but if the man has no home of his own, it's hard to see how he can bring the cat home for example.

25/5/07 10:11 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

Point taken Dawn but ..... Anyhow, i know you will try your best.

25/5/07 10:27 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Thanks Mary - this is one of those cases where there really isn't a 'right' answer. So far when I've gone by the kitten always looks happy and healthy but I'll stop in today and have a look as Auntie P mentioned it isn't looking good.

25/5/07 10:37 AM  
Blogger auntie p said...

Thank you, Dawn. Hope you'll find the kitten in more cheerful spirits later today.

25/5/07 11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home