Friday, June 08, 2007

Complainant offers to donate money for sterilisation

I went down to speak to this feeder a few weeks ago and when I left I remarked to the officer that I didn't think the feeder would start sterilisation because he didn't sound convinced he should be doing it.

I received new complaints from the area two days ago and yesterday spoke to the wife of the feeder and emailed the complainant.

The wife of the feeder is worried it is against her religion. I told her that we had some quotes from different religions in our brochure which I had given to her husband. She had read the brochure. I told her I would send her another letter to say sterilisation was okay according to the religious authority in question and I mailed that out yesterday. She was concerned as her father-in-law had said it was sinful so they only sterilised the cats they kept at home.

She said they used to have 30 cats in the area, but many of them were caught. She was also concerned that sterilisation would make cats stupid. She said she had taken in an abandoned, sterilised cat and that it had not seemed very bright when it was downstairs and hence she took it in.

I told her that many abandoned cats are frightened and unable to cope as they have lived indoors all their lives and that it has nothing to do with sterilisation.

She was worried that they might trap the cats even if they were sterilised. I told her that the officer had told her husband and I the other day that they would not trap the cats. She was worried about paying to get them taken out and I told her that if the officer wrote her a letter (and she collected the cats promptly) then she did not need to worry about that either.

Now the interesting thing is this - the complainant basically was just worried the population was increasing and that she had seen several pregnant cats. So SHE has offered to donate $100 for the cats to be sterilised. I was pleasantly surprised. Now all we need to do is convince the feeders that it needs to be done.

Labels: , ,

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds positive! if only all complainants are like this one! it's strange to hear that sterilisation is associated with stupidity. heehee ;> so corny!

8/6/07 4:46 PM  
Anonymous auntie p said...

I'm not surprised about these folklore beliefs that some folks still hold. One woman believed that if I take photos of the community cats, the cats will die.

It's been more than a year since I did, and luckily the cat is still alive, or I will surely get blamed.

8/6/07 5:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha,it's amazing how 'kampong' we still are at this age and time. and to think that we pride ourselves as being a developed country when the many of us are amazingly awkward still...

8/6/07 5:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes there are still some out there who are really ignorant.

Examples

1) Sterlizing is unnatural and sinful
2) Training cats is wrong
3) Cats must be allowed to roam
4) (This one takes the cake)Predigree cats are way and much superior compared to domestics. They have a certain breeding and class that makes them above other cats.....

8/6/07 5:19 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

It is strange how many misconceptions there still are on sterilisation and Anonymous is right - some people feel that pedigree cats are 'better' cats and hence should not be sterilised.

8/6/07 6:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes Dawn, in the pet forums, there is a sad case of a kitten that was adopted and then returned when the adopter found out it was a female. As adopter was not going to sterlize, he didnt want the mess when the cat goes into heat.

8/6/07 6:24 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Sigh.

8/6/07 6:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.pets.com.sg/forums/showthread.php?t=34660

This thread really makes one's blood boil. This guy is asking around for predigree cats and he claims his auntie has two kittens to give away. He says as he is only interested in predigree, he doesnt want the kittens.

From sources I heard these are actually his kittens and he wants to offload them as they are not predigree. He is at the moment trying to adopt any predigree cat for adoption....

8/6/07 9:08 PM  
Anonymous belle said...

at least the feeder & his wife are voicing their concerns, so that we can clarify with them ... this is better than some folks who just evade & avoid the issue of sterilisation ...

auntie p - i heard that one too ... my version is from an ex-colleague, ie. if u take foto of a cat, the cat will run away (if its yr pet) or die (if its an outside cat) ...

i took alot fotos of my ex-cat ... well, she DID die - 5 years (after the fotos were taken), and in old age suffering fr kidney failure :-)

nope, she never ran away ...

she was with me for total 11 yrs ... the fotos were of her in her PRIME :-) Now they serve as wonderful memories ...

8/6/07 11:59 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

I agree - it's good that they're speaking with us. I just hope they're taking our advice into consideration too!

9/6/07 12:47 AM  
Blogger Barffie said...

I think many people have the misconception of female cats going in heat = female dogs going in heat. And that female cats would have "periods" like female dogs as well.

That is not true!

11/6/07 9:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Barffie, am i reading right or did you say female cats have no "periods"? I am not too sure about other cats but I do have a couple of cats having their period once a few months.

11/6/07 12:55 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Actually Anonymous they shouldn't - cats don't usually bleed even if they are unsterilised. Are your cats sterilised?

11/6/07 4:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes my cats are sterilised. In fact my old cat who had already passed on at old age of around 15yrs had irregular "period". My present cat also in her old age had it too. In fact they jump on to my sink when they are having it and that is when i see traces of it and on the floor as well, very little but you can see and usually they do not jump onto the sink.. strange...

12/6/07 12:29 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

That is unusual - did your vet ever say anything about it?

12/6/07 12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home