Thursday, July 19, 2007

Acting fast

I was speaking to a feeder who had called a caregiver to say that the town council had been seen trapping cats and she thought they were trapping the sterilised cats too. When I managed to get her, it had been settled - another caregiver had called the town council and the officer reminded the pest control officer not to trap the sterilised cats.

She mentioned to me that she had a run in with the pest control officers almost two months ago. In fact this is the second time this has happened this year. She mentioned that the pest control officer (or she thinks they are pest control officers) called her over and said she was not allowed to feed. He tried to show her a card which she did not look at. Instead she ignored him.

She said she tried to call me but got a message on my phone and she didn't understand so she was hoping that I would eventually call her (there is also a message in Mandarin which she obviously did not hear). I pointed out that this had happened almost two months ago - it would be almost impossible to trace what happened exactly. I asked her if she knew whom the person is. She said she is quite sure he is from pest control (and she mentioned he was wearing some uniform) but she's not sure which. I asked her why she had not taken the person's name down or taken a card from the person. She said she had no pen.

I asked why she had not called the town council officer as I had told her to do the last time I spoke with her since the officer certainly spoke Mandarin. She said she wanted to clarify with me if the person who spoke with her was a government official. I said since we couldn't be sure whom he was since she hadn't checked his identity either. However she had spoken with a friend in the meantime who used to work with the TC and he had told her that if the man was indeed with pest control, that he was not a government official. I asked her why she had hesitated and not done anything - she said she wanted to double check.

I reminded her to call her town council officer if she had any problems. She said that she's going to get another caregiver to do it from now on. It doesn't seem as if she is going to call the officer even though I've told her that she should call the officer immediately if she senses a problem several times.

The first thing to do is to call your town council officer if you think that your cats are being trapped, or if you think that town council employees or people related to the TC have treated you badly. At that point if there is a problem, then do contact CWS and we'll try our best to help - but contact the TC first to see what's going on. In this case, I am sorry to hear the feeder does not want to get involved by calling the TC. What would have happened if the other caregiver was not there today to help? Would she just stand aside and let them trap the cats and then wait to tell someone about it later? It's important sometimes to act fast - and that means taking action on your own.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Town Council Officers are super hard to find. They are either on site, on leave, on course or on MC.

19/7/07 2:25 PM  
Anonymous no patience said...

If people don't carry pens, don't ask, don't get answers and don't don't who been trapping cats when they see them doing it, they can , take a photo of the trappers, call, police and follow to the vehicle, take down vehicle nos. and take photos of the trapped cats, date, time , place and people. Calling Dawn after 2 months is as good as creating a zigsaw puzzle for Dawn to solve fater the cats are dead.

19/7/07 2:28 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Anonymous - I agree. Rebecca and I have been trying to get an officer for the last two days and since it's now 2:30 I can try again (was told she would be back at 2:30 pm).

However it is important to do something - otherwise the cats would get caught. You'd be surprised - you may be able to catch the officer!

19/7/07 2:33 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

no patience - actually I called her. She was waiting for me to call :)

19/7/07 2:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home