Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Cats stuck in abandoned cinema

There's been a case of some cats getting stuck in an abandoned cinema. I was supposed to go on Monday with one of the passers-by who had taken an interest in the case to speak with the building supervisor. The meeting was cancelled as the supervisor was uncontactable.

The man organising the meeting wrote to me again last night to say the cats were stuck in the cinema again. It seemed that on Monday itself, the building supervisor had the building wired up and when the man went by last night, the cats were stuck.

I managed to get hold of the building supervisor today and when I asked if I could have a word, he said he was in a meeting. I asked what time I could call back and he said he did not know. I explained we were concerned about some cats stuck in the cinema and then he started going on about something being torn down, interspersed with comments about 'your people'. I tried to clarify but before I could even begin, he slammed the phone down on me.

I called the head office again and tried to speak with the General Manager. I was put through to the personal assistant, who told me this case had been going on for a while. She asked me to write in. I told her that this was a matter of urgency - the cats were stuck inside without food or water and they needed to be gotten out. I also told her that we wanted to work with the management to keep the cats out permanently but that the building supervisor had not turned up for our meeting to discuss this.

I asked how soon they could get back to us, and she said she did not know. I pointed out that this could be a case of animal abuse if they know that there are animals in the building, there is no other way out and they refuse to do anything.

I realise that there is a lot of frustration about this case and bad blood - but fencing the place up with cats inside doesn't make the situation any better. It's possible the supervisor didn't know the cats were in there - in which case, they should be let out anyway. If he did know (as the man who called thinks he did), then it's even worse because this doesn't solve problems at all.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Anonymous sk said...

Dawn, for this case, you may like to call SPCA for help.

I was faced with a similar situation before, but mine was a company warehouse. I looked up the directory and found the company number and called them. They said they will get the cats out. However, when I went by the next day, I still heard cat meow.

Out of desperation, I called SPCA and this lady kindly offered to call for me.

When I went by the next day, there was no longer any meowing coming from that warehouse.

I'm not sure how SPCA talked to the warehouse people but seems to me that they listened.

Maybe SPCA threatened them with animal cruelty or something?

11/7/07 5:05 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

sk - I did. I spoke with SPCA this afternoon. Apparently this case has been going on for a while in that the cats run in, and then the feeders will call the cinema. The cats get let out etc. The SPCA did think there were entry and exit holes for the cats in the past so it wasn't a big problem. They have also spoken with the management in the past about this.

However this time the front has been wired up so it seems unlikely the cats will be able to get out. Once I get any updates from the management, I'll let the SPCA know as well and they're also likely to follow up.

11/7/07 5:14 PM  
Anonymous sk said...

What about calling in the police? This is an obvious case of cruelty.

11/7/07 5:25 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

sk - the man I spoke to said the feeders are throwing in food and other things so the cats aren't starving. He said they'll be fine for the next few days. We discussed it and said we'd see whether they got back to us tomorrow and then decide if other authorities should be involved.

If possible, it would be good to keep a cordial working relationship so that we can work towards keeping the cats out of the cinema altogether.

11/7/07 5:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The police wont give a hoot... calling them is a waste of time

11/7/07 6:38 PM  
Blogger Surferket said...

If this is a clear case of animal abuse the police have to follow up.
Might be better to let SPCA front this case as CWS is pretty unknown to the general public.

11/7/07 10:17 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Actually the SPCA was involved in this case first and that's why we didn't think it necessary to get involved at first when we were contacted about it. SPCA is of course very experienced with abuse. However the person who contacted me wanted to try something a bit different in terms of management and so spoke with us. I am sure SPCA will also be following up and we're in communication on this.

11/7/07 11:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home