Thursday, August 23, 2007

Speaking up

I was speaking with a feeder about a TC meeting tomorrow. One of the caregivers asked me to speak with the feeder because she was worried that the feeder did not want to go. Some of her cats had recently been trapped.

I called the feeder and she said she was worried that the TC might think she is not neutral. I told her that this wasn't about being neutral or taking sides - this was about working with the TC. I also said it's important to show the TC that there are caregivers who want to work with them and solve problems together.

She said that she had not had a lot of problem with the TC. I told her I understood some cats had been trapped in her area and she said that the area where they were trapped was a friend's area and not hers. I told her it was really important to speak up and show that there are people who care for the cats. At the end of the day I told her, if we don't speak up before things get really bad, then it may be too late by the time they do.

She said there was nothing that could be done even if the cats are trapped. I told her this isn't true - but that people must be willing to speak up otherwise it seems as if no one cares for the cats and that the complainants are right after all, when we KNOW that's not true.

I've always liked this quote by Martin Niemoller :-

First they came for the Communists, and I didn’t speak up,
because I wasn’t a Communist.
Then they came for the Jews, and I didn’t speak up,
because I wasn’t a Jew.
Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn’t speak up,
because I was a Protestant.
Then they came for me, and by that time there was no one left
to speak up for me.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous no patience said...

Dawn, you sure have lots of patience. This is the type that only knows how to feed and would have no basic intelligence and education and they freak me out.
O ya, they are very stubborn too.

24/8/07 2:58 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

The good news is she SMSed and said she'd be coming :)

24/8/07 7:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home