Thursday, August 23, 2007

Witness has to file report

I was speaking to a feeder this afternoon who said that another feeder had seen a case of animal abuse. She said that the person had managed to take a photo of the alleged accuser throwing a stick at a cat. She asked me if the person would go to jail. I said that it was certainly possible under the law but it depended on what the circumstances and the evidence they had. I told her that she needed to go to the police.

She asked me why they needed to go - this is not the first time she's tried to file a report about animal abuse (with different abusers), but the rest of the cases usually ended in naught because none of the witnesses wanted to come forward. In one case, I went to the police station with her witness, spent three hours in there, and the minute the feeder went to the bathroom, the witness said she did not want to testify. It seemed she was scared the feeder would no longer be her friend so she had gone along so far.

This time around, she said that since I had advised them to take photos as evidence, she wanted me to file the report. I pointed out that photos are evidence, but there must still be a witness, and the witness has to be someone who actually SAW the abuse happening.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guess people are reluctant to stand up and speak up because they fear that the offender might take revenge. Will the identities of witnesses be kept confidential?

24/8/07 10:27 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Yes because they need to go to court. I have to say though that I think most people are more worried about the inconvenience than fear of revenge.

24/8/07 11:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you have no courage then society will be taken over by criminals. Look at JB frequent robbery and stabbings, the petrol station should hire security guards and a barricade to protect cusomers. My friend and her driver robbed at petrol station.

25/8/07 12:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home