Monday, September 10, 2007

Given the runaround

I spoke with the manager of an estate (or tried to this afternoon). When I spoke with her earlier she told me the person in charge was another colleague, who told me she was busy and to call her back a bit later. When I was able to get in touch with the latter I was told she was actually the assistant manager of the complex. I asked the assistant manager if it was possible to release a cat that had been caught in the area and was now in the AVA. First she told me she wasn't sure where the cat was and I told her a few times that the cat had already been sent to the AVA and the caregiver needed their approval to take the cat back.

Eventually she said that it wasn't her decision. She said that she worked for the landlord that did not want cats in the area. I explained that new cats would enter the area and that it did not help to trap and remove them - and that the cats there were sterilised, which she knew. In fact the caregiver had been in touch with them in the past.

I asked if they could contact the caregiver instead of removing the cats in the future. Again she said she wasn't sure as the management was not very keen on the idea. I asked if I could speak with her management and she said she wasn't sure about that either. I asked her if I could send her some information for her management. She said she would write to them first. Then she said that she couldn't make any decisions. I asked her whom the right person to speak to was in that case, and she referred me back to the first person I had spoken with. It turned out that that person was her superior. That person has been uncontactable since I managed to get hold of her the first time.


At the same time, I spoke with the caregiver and one of the AVA officers - the cat was released but now cannot be put back in the same area. However it is home safely.

Another person who has been uncontactable has been the officer in one of the estates. A caregiver called him up and this person told her that there weren't many problems but he thought the number of cats in the estates was high. He did not have a problem with the cats but wanted the population reduced within a month. The caregiver explained she was sterilising, but that she could not reduce the population so quickly, unless perhaps they were relocated within the same estate. However she told me the number wasn't very high.

She said the officer told her that she could relocate the cats - but not in his estate. He suggested she remove the cats and put them in some other estate. The caregiver was rather astounded at the suggestion.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Mar said...

hi there. can i download the spay day poster at your flickr to post it up on my blog?

10/9/07 7:05 PM  
Blogger VeganCatsg said...

Click here Spay Day Poster

10/9/07 8:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

stupid attitude about getting the cats out. About zero stray policy in his estate? Who is this @@##@@#? What a bully, someday he will lose his own roof.

10/9/07 10:39 PM  
Blogger Mar said...

thanks.

10/9/07 11:27 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Please do - we hope that it will be more promoted!

10/9/07 11:35 PM  
Blogger calsifer said...

Dawn, looks like the property management is deliberately avoiding your calls. Hats off to you for your perseverance.

btw, what's being done about the selfish and unreasonable estate officer?

11/9/07 9:06 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Trying to get hold of him too.

11/9/07 9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home