Friday, November 30, 2007

Cats in cages

Last night, one of the feeders wanted me to speak to this woman whom I have gone down twice to see. She has dozens of cats crammed into a back room in cages. The feeder said the cats are in bad form.

I told the feeder I have spoken with the woman before but I called her again. First off, she told me that she had taken all these cats in and gotten into so much problems. Apparently the SPCA and AVA had been down. She said that she wanted to send them to a shelter though she claimed that none of them could speak English. I explained that if she sends all the cats to the SPCA, they will likely be put down. She said that she had no choice. I asked her why she couldn't leave them where they are on the street. The woman said that they might get run over by cars - she said that she had seen cats there run over and she felt sorry for them.

She also said it was too much problem and that AVA had told her she couldn't feed. I asked her if she was sure this was not the NEA and she faxed me the number. I spoke to the AVA officer and they had gone down not to tell her not to feed but because of a complaint about animal cruelty. They had advised her to control the food and to get the cats sterilised - otherwise the population would grow out of hand.

When I rang her back, she said that she had not understood that, and she wanted to send them to a shelter. I asked her how this was better for them if the idea was to try and save their lives in the first place - I told her that on the street, the cats have a 50-50 chance at least.

She said that she could not believe that someone would complain about cruelty. She said the cats were happy. I told her that putting 60 cats into a room in cages makes them unhappy. I asked her if some of her cats were balding. She said they were. I told her this could be a sign of stress. She told me she thought cats shed their coats every once in a while. I asked if any were spraying - she said some were, again obviously another sign of stress.

I asked her if they were all sterilised and she said they weren't. I asked about getting them done and then she said she thought she'd send them to the SPCA again.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This woman wouldn't admit she has no funds for sterilisation? Or is she a stubborn @#X!* she should go visit some of the humane, well designed cat shelter...ignorant and proud, no wonder the cats suffer.

30/11/07 9:58 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

She said that she didn't have funds - then I offered our help, then she just said it was too much trouble.

1/12/07 5:15 AM  
Anonymous belle said...

60 cats in her flat ? wow ...

1/12/07 4:32 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

In a back room actually.

1/12/07 6:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please ask her to get the cats sterilised soonest possible and put some of them back on the streets. It would be better for the cats rather than crammed all of them into a tiny room. It's very bad.

In the first place, how she got herself into this mess? Surely, she is not an organised person. She is not doing any good for the cats. I am sure the cats would enjoy more freedom outside.

2/12/07 12:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

not walking freely in a room, 10 cats squeezed in wooden wire mesh, like 3ftX6ft n height 28inches!

Those who tried helping her gave up at the conversation stage.

2/12/07 3:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This woman is crazy. Instead of loving and caring for the cats, she is giving more stress to all these cats. So many cats and so little space.

If she don't want to sterilise her cats, they will multiply and soon there will be hundreds of them, which is even worse, right.

Can someone talk some sense into this woman's head..

3/12/07 11:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home