Thursday, November 15, 2007

Scarecrow & trapping

I went down to drop off the Scarecrow this afternoon. The man came out and tried to put it in, but then realised it had no battery. To be fair, I did forget to bring one as most people so far have bought their own. He tried with a battery at his home, but it didn't seem to be working, and he seemed a bit reluctant. His wife came out to join us and I heard him mention that they hardly have any use for the battery and I wasn't sure if he wanted to buy one if not, so I offered to go out and get one for him in case they changed their minds.

I came back and as he tried it, I spoke with his wife. She asked why we were doing this and why not just use a cat trap. I explained that the cat would be trapped and killed. She said then the cat had to be killed. I said that it was basically ineffective. I explained also the vacuum effect and the different kinds of repellents that could be used. She asked if I was from the AVA and was a cat lover. I explained that I loved all animals but that this was also the most effective way of keeping the population down.

The woman said the problem was with the neighbour's cats that came over. She said most of the community cats did not actually come into the yard. She said sometimes the neighbour's cats fight with community cats outside her home and it is noisy. I said that the cats are sterilised, and she also knew about the ear tipping. I told her that we work with the community cats to ensure that people and cats can live together. She remarked that she didn't have an issue if the community cats were killed either.

I told her that the best solution is TNRM and told her how many cats were killed a year. She asked me if AVA didn't put them in the shelter and feed them until they could not be kept. I told her this was not the case and that they were always killed unless they were claimed. I told her that sterilisation keeps the population down. She said that she had actually noticed this in the estate, which is incidentally Jolanda's old estate when she lived here. She said that after Jolanda started sterilising the cats, she had seen a decrease in the number of community cats. She said her main issue was with the neighbour's cats.

I just hope the Scarecrow will keep any cat out of the yard!

I also popped by the neighbour next door and showed her the Scarecrow. I asked her if she was sure she didn't want to borrow it. She said that it was fine. I told her to please call me if she had a problem and that she could also see the Scarecrow in action in her neighbours' home.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Surferket said...

Not surprising about her attitude that cats being trapped and then killed means nothing to her. Humanity is desensitised by the mass killings of own species so what more so if all animal species are extinct? Lets start with cats and then we move up the value chain. Eventually the human race will be killed by plague from rats where cats once used to keep the rat population down.

When talking to TCs, this point should be brought up as it's 100% true that cats, neutered or otherwise, are really keeping rats in check. Cats are an important part of the bio-system.

Anyone seen rats at blocks where there are community cats around?

15/11/07 7:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually i still do see rats really. Sometimes i do wonder what complainants say about cats these days no longer catch rats are right. They even challenge me to go to a certain estate to take a look myself at how big the rats are even with cats around. As for my own area, yes i still see rats.. but definitely lesser than years back.

16/11/07 4:01 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

surferket yes actually they are. Cats have been found not to catch rats over a certain size and weight.If you've seen the size of some of these rats, you'd understand why :)

In Baltimore, I heard of rats killing kittens for example. Not sure how much of an urban myth it is, but seeing the size of the rats there, I would say it could happen.

16/11/07 9:41 AM  
Blogger jules said...

I am amazed how the woman keeps saying that she's fine with the community cats being killed. She obviously does not have a healthy respect for lives, other than her own maybe. Guess she may be supportive of killing off the "old, useless people" (like herself when she's old and useless) and vagrants on the street. Thanks goodness she's not someone with power to set ridiculous rules and regulations.

16/11/07 12:04 PM  
Anonymous ace said...

I was patting a cat once and a man came up and yelled that all cats should be killed. I explained TNRM. He was still very persistent and said cats are useless to the environment and he wants to complain.
I said I will then help him to go the TC or MP to feedback. He replied that since I said removing the cats are useless, then pointless to complain already. Sometimes we may just need to "join" them if you can't "beat" them...

16/11/07 1:22 PM  
Blogger VeganCatsg said...

Perhaps ACE could ask this man what has he contributed to benefit the environment?

16/11/07 1:28 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Well handled Ace!

16/11/07 3:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home