Thursday, November 01, 2007

Too many cats

I was speaking to a caregiver this morning and she said that she had been in touch with some friend's who had been to another woman's house. They said they were appalled by how many cats there were stuffed in the house and asked the caregiver to help. The caregiver didn't know the woman, but I did, so after ringing around a bit I managed to get hold of her.

The woman readily agreed that she had too many cats. She said that she could not cope and that there were far too many cats. She said that some of the cats had died because of disease. I asked if there was a possibility to release some of them back to where they came from but she said some had been taken in during SARS and it was too late. However when we spoke I realised that some of the kittens were just a few months old. I asked her about it and she said people were bringing her kittens that needed nursing and she took them in. She said she needed help. I told her the best thing she can do to help is to STOP taking in new cats or kittens, no matter how sad the sob story.

She said her daughter was very upset with her and said that the cats were doing better outside. Her daughter said this wasn't being kind in any way. The woman agreed and said that the cats outside had fresh air and exercise and this was good for them.

She kept saying she wanted to stop and that she realised that she could not take in more cats. At the same time, she also said that there had been people who wanted to adopt her cats but one family had four already and she wasn't sure they could cope with two more. I told her that she clearly couldn't - and that she could always ask them to return the cats if they couldn't cope. If they had four cats, loved and treated them well, then it might actually be a good home - and certainly can't be worse than the current situation.

I also wish people would stop trying to give people like this woman more cats. I know this woman means well and she realises she's in over her head but people have to realise that she cannot cope and she cannot say no. Sometimes leaving the cat out there to fight out its chances might really be kinder.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since we are at the topic of hoarders. Any updates on the cat on the leash? Walked past the spot last night at 11pm and the guy was no where to be seen but the cat is leashed up and inside a box.... Wondering how does it go to the toliet...

1/11/07 12:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and also the van guy...

1/11/07 2:54 PM  
Blogger sai-hwee said...

Hi,

I would like to work/volunteer for catwelfare, like the "caregivers" u've mentioned in your blog.

I've been feeding for cats around my blocks but would like to learn more about properly caring for a cat/kitten.

I couldnt send my application via the catwelfare website.

How may I do so?

Thanks.

1/11/07 5:38 PM  
Blogger Surferket said...

I've heard similar horror stories of 30 and more cats in a HDB flat living on plain white rice.

1/11/07 6:57 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Anonymous - you must be reading my mind. I was thinking about the cat on the leash today and will be visiting next week. The van guy has moved as I mentioned a while ago and wasn't forthcoming about where he moved to.

sai-hwee could you drop me an email and we can discuss it further.

surferket :(

1/11/07 7:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home