Monday, December 31, 2007

Nap Time


Nap Time
Originally uploaded by dawnkua.

Today is my last day with CWS. I've really enjoyed my 6 years working with the Society and volunteering with the Society for a few years before that.

I have to say that these 6 years have been frustrating at times, often tiring, but never uninteresting. It's also been my honour and privilege to have gotten to know many amazing individuals who are caregivers, both in person, over emails and phone calls - and lastly through this blog. I've also had the honour to work with many wonderful volunteers who have helped the Society out. Of course on the flip side, I've also met some very strange, rude and downright nasty and malicious people, but fortunately they've been in the minority.

I've faced some of the greatest trials in my life while working at CWS, especially during SARS and this year's 'no stray cats' policy - but at the same time, as the old cliche goes, the human spirit really can triumph in adversity - and I've seen caregivers rise to the occasion.

The one thing that has made me happiest is seeing caregivers start to work together and with their Town councils and management committees. The way forward is to work together and not as adversaries. One of the things that has struck me this year is that when caregivers work together and are able to have a cogent, logical discussion with their town councils, that the town councils have responded in kind.

As I leave, I urge you to continue working with your town council to help protect the cats. And don't fall prey to the mindset that some do - that you can't make a difference. Every one of you has already made a difference. You are never too old, too uneducated, too shy or whatever it is that you think holds you back, to be able to make a difference. Some of the most amazing caregivers I know are elderly and have little or no education, but they have not let that stop them. The most important thing you can remember is that you DO count and that you are the voice for the cats.

Not only that - you are helping to shape a Singapore that we can all be proud of. One where every citizen works to make Singapore a better place, where everybody really does their part - and doesn't just complain to some authority to take care of whatever it is that makes them unhappy.

Remember we all live in the society we deserve - and if you don't speak up, then you cannot complain if someone else happens to speak up and say something that you don't agree with.

Lastly, I am just an email away. My new email address has been uploaded and you can click on it on my profile. At the same time, because several people have asked, and because I don't want to lose touch with all of you, I will be starting a new blog. Watch this space for the new URL in the next few days. I'll also be leaving this blog up.

Have a Happy New Year everyone - and to all the community cats.

Now I'm off for a rest :)

Labels:

21 Comments:

Anonymous Leo said...

I try not to be affected by the leaving of Dawn from CWS based on the fact that nothing is permanent except changes. But I do feel sad when such good thing ends and saying good bye is difficult as it forces one to acknowledge that fact.
However I hope that CWS will continue "forever" because the cats and those of us who feel that they too have a right to survive and be given food, water and protection from abuse, need an official support.
I harbour the hope that Dawn's absence is only temporary and we will soon get to see this blog moving again.

31/12/07 3:10 PM  
Blogger EJ. said...

All the kitties would like to says 'Thank You' to you too, Dawn.

31/12/07 3:38 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Take care Dawn and do keep in touch. Like what Leo said, i too hope CWS will continue to exist for the benefit of the cats, and its caregivers.

31/12/07 4:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Dawen, You've been such a great asset to CWS. Can i ask how do you like to see CWS move in the next year or so. Or how do you think we can help CWS to grow? With just one paid staff in the society, that one staff must really have great determination, will and of course a very BIG heart for the meows to charge forward. Dawn has all, if not more than all the above. We often ask ourselves what help can CWS (Dawn) offer us but is there also a way we can help CWS to grow besides donating to the society. Do we see more fulltime staff in the near future?

As the saying goes, no one is indispensable in an organisation but here, I regret to admit that I have a little lesser confidence in CWS now that Dawn is leaving. That is why I hope there may just be something more that all the caregivers can do so that we know should there be any unfortunate event, we know we can go to CWS and not thinking of flooding your private mailbox with problems once again.

Thanks Dawn for all your hard work and great help. Have a good well-deserved break and A Happy Fulfilling New Year ahead! And of course can you also put on some weight too, please? :)

31/12/07 4:38 PM  
Blogger san said...

Thanks for being with us Dawn. Have a good New Year.

31/12/07 5:26 PM  
Anonymous E_Cat said...

Thanks very much for all that you have done for the cats and caregivers over the years. May the New Year bring new hopes for your future endeavors.

31/12/07 5:30 PM  
Blogger jules said...

Thank you very much, Dawn, for all the work you've done and being always there when I needed help. You will definitely be missed... All the best and wishing you & your family abundant blessings for the new year !

31/12/07 6:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sad to see you leave Dawn. Been reading about your exploits and you have proven to be a most patient and resilient person.The CWS will miss you greatly. All the best for your future endeavours. ANd (if there is such an award), I nominate you for `Cat of the Year'!

31/12/07 6:52 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Leo - yes new blog is in the works :)

ej, jules, mary, san and E_cat - thank you!

As for everyone who's asked if CWS will continue, it will and I do hope you will continue to support the committee who remains. I am sure they would appreciate any help you can offer them. As for their plans, I think they are planning that right now. However Anonymous as I said, please don't feel embarrassed about writing to me - all the community cats and all of you have become part of my life and I would never leave without somehow still being in touch. I don't think I'd know how!

Anonymous - cat of the year, I like that :) Thanks!

31/12/07 7:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dawn, thank you and God bless you. here's wishing you very good health, great strength, much laughter and many money this new year. -orange-

1/1/08 9:55 AM  
Anonymous apple said...

Dawn,u do need a break from helping cats,after all,with e government/HDB not being supportive,there's just so much CWS,SPCA etc can do.
You need to do something else with yr life or u'll be too stress.
I have only 4 cats and i worry constantly for keeping them in my flat.I just wish i can moved away if i have e money.

1/1/08 2:00 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Thanks Orange and Apple - and I'm sorry to hear that. If people could keep cats legally I know it would make a lot of people feel relief!

1/1/08 6:46 PM  
Blogger auntie p said...

Thank you, Dawn, for helping to advance the interest of cats and for that last inspiring post on this blog.

See you on your new blog!

Have a good break. :)

2/1/08 9:42 AM  
Anonymous Wei Ling said...

It's really sad you are leaving CWS. You have been doing a great job. Although I am not acquaintant with you but I have seen the contributions CWS made and the difference in the communty cats' life

9/1/08 3:03 PM  
Blogger Barffie said...

Thank you for all these years! :)

18/1/08 9:23 AM  
Blogger kegnum said...

Hi, I’m a new blogger. I came across your blog and think it looks great. I see that our blogs are very. I thought it would be good for both of us to do a blogroll link exchange. Though I haven't been blogging long, I know its good to have friends to support you and I'd like to form some connections with bloggers who have similar interests. Please let me know if you’re interested.

Thanks,
Julien
Kegbay(at)gmail(dot)com
http://cutekittenfan.blogspot.com

5/6/09 9:07 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Nice blog Julien - unfortunately, I don't update this blog any longer.

7/6/09 1:34 AM  
Blogger BMW said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9/12/09 2:43 PM  
Anonymous Kenneth Copeland said...

I hope CWS will continue to exist for the benefit of the cats, and its caregivers. Take care Dawn and do keep in touch.

20/1/11 7:00 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Thanks Kenneth - CWS is still running and I have a new blog, though I don't update that frequently.

20/1/11 11:12 PM  
Anonymous Carey said...

Excellent blog. Sorry to see that it has been discontinued :(

13/8/12 6:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home